Light scratch

tku

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just washed and inspected my car this morning and have found a light scratch, maybe about 3 inches long. Its not very deep almost like a fingernail scratch and it doesn't look like its gone deep into my paintwork at all. Now if this was 6 months ago and I hadn't found an advice forum I probably just would of brought out the old t-cut, however I just thought I'd run the problem through here first so any ideas/suggestions to what you guys would use for a fine scratch would be grateful! Any names of products and techniques please. Thanks again! :)

Hi,

Please don't use T-Cut!!

If it is a very light scratch then something like Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (AG SRP) should sort it for you. Same action as any other polish, small blob on a micro fibre and polish in.

If it is a bad scratch, Meguirars Scratch X is very good. But this is more of a harsh polish than SRP, so go easy.

The only other option would be to find a local detailing with a machine polisher. I am based in the NW (Cheshire) and would be perfectly happy to help. If you could post up photos, that would help greatly!

Hey guys, I just washed and inspected my car this morning and have found a light scratch, maybe about 3 inches long. Its not very deep almost like a fingernail scratch and it doesn't look like its gone deep into my paintwork at all. Now if this was 6 months ago and I hadn't found an advice forum I probably just would of brought out the old t-cut, however I just thought I'd run the problem through here first so any ideas/suggestions to what you guys would use for a fine scratch would be grateful! Any names of products and techniques please. Thanks again! :)

Can you feel the scratch if you run your finger nail over it?

Nope, I just went outside to give it a good feel lol..and I can't feel anything when I run finger over it..it really is a fine scratch.

Get some pictures posted up if you can chap.

There's only 'so' much that you can achieve by hand; best off if you can get hold of a machine (in the right hands!)

Get some pictures posted up if you can chap.

There's only 'so' much that you can achieve by hand; best off if you can get hold of a machine (in the right hands!)

I agree. That said, I definitely think it's worth giving it a go by hand first, as it will probably be a lot more convenient. I removed a scratch on a mates car that looked quite bad very easily yesterday using SRP by hand.

SRP is fine to a certain extent. Good to start off with a low cut.

But judging by the description you may need to up the cut to something like Meguirars Scratch X. Good stuff and available from a wide range of locations.

scratchx2.gif

So is the meguairs scratch x stuff any good? Used in on a mates mk4 black astra once and it just seemed to fill the scratch rather than remove it!

It would be best to use a polish with a decent level of cut that breaks down very easily, otherwise you run the risk of leaving marring in the finish. In a case like this, where you have a light scratch and no machine polisher to hand, I would recommend using Menzerna 203S and a Lake Country Light Cut Hand Pad. This combination will cut well and leave a high gloss finish with no marring. It will also cut back the defect as opposed to filling it. More detailed info and usage instructions on this link...

Menzerna 203S - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/menzerna-203s-cat8.html

:sm4:

It would be best to use a polish with a decent level of cut that breaks down very easily, otherwise you run the risk of leaving marring in the finish. In a case like this, where you have a light scratch and no machine polisher to hand, I would recommend using Menzerna 203S and a Lake Country Light Cut Hand Pad. This combination will cut well and leave a high gloss finish with no marring. It will also cut back the defect as opposed to filling it. More detailed info and usage instructions on this link...

Menzerna 203S - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/menzerna-203s-cat8.html

:sm4: