Insurance for 2nd car...

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a cheap run around to use back and fore to work (£500 - £1000) and was wondering if anyone knows of any good insurance companies who will give me a good deal! I pay about £750 for the S3, and when I asked about adding another car (Ford mondeo 1.8 TD - £500 worth) they said that I would have to take out another policy and it would cost £550 third party only! I nearly fell off my chair!

Without insuring the car in someone else's name, does anyone know of any insurance company that offers a good deal on this type of arrangement?

I'm currently with Direct line, but have a feeling I won'd be for much longer!

Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
I am thinking of getting a cheap run around to use back and fore to work (£500 - £1000) and was wondering if anyone knows of any good insurance companies who will give me a good deal! I pay about £750 for the S3, and when I asked about adding another car (Ford mondeo 1.8 TD - £500 worth) they said that I would have to take out another policy and it would cost £550 third party only! I nearly fell off my chair!

Without insuring the car in someone else's name, does anyone know of any insurance company that offers a good deal on this type of arrangement?

I'm currently with Direct line, but have a feeling I won'd be for much longer!

Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich,

Elephant offer discount for second cars so they might be worth a try... Admiral might do also!

Rich

I'm with Elephant and they weren't interested in insuring my Ibiza as a second car for sensible money. I ended up going to Herts Insurance Consultants (HIC) and getting a 3000 mile restricted policy TPF&T.

I've got three cars and it is a pain having to insure each one separately - you would think that at least one company would do something (other than a motor trader policy which is third party only).

try confused.com they are a breakers but turn up with good results.

[ QUOTE ]
jcs356 said:
I'm with Elephant and they weren't interested in insuring my Ibiza as a second car for sensible money. I ended up going to Herts Insurance Consultants (HIC) and getting a 3000 mile restricted policy TPF&T.

I've got three cars and it is a pain having to insure each one separately - you would think that at least one company would do something (other than a motor trader policy which is third party only).

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about insuring three cars seperately man, it's not cheap is it?! I am however, thinking of buying a mk2 golf Gti as a run-around, and getting my mate who owns the local garage to register it so I can drive it third party on my insurance, that's legal isn't it?

I think its time to look into insuring it in my Grandads name!

I can then drive it 3rd party on my insurance or get me down as a named driver. That should get around it?

I have my RS6 with direct line. My wife has a saab cabriolet which I managed to get direct line to give me the same no claims (4 years) on as my second car and the wife a named driver.

Mind you, they only did this after Norwich union offered just such a deal after Direct Line had refused and they didn't want to lose me after 6 years.

They kept coming out withe the same crap as all the other companies "you can only use your no claims on 1 car" Surely it's an indication of your driving ability and therefore should apply to any car you choose to insure.

Maybe if I get 10 points for speeeeeeeeding in the RS I can have them 'not' apply to the Saab!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:

Tell me about insuring three cars seperately man, it's not cheap is it?! I am however, thinking of buying a mk2 golf Gti as a run-around, and getting my mate who owns the local garage to register it so I can drive it third party on my insurance, that's legal isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll need to be insured fully comp by your mate for it to be legal. I think that's how it works but check your policy details.

we pulled a fast one when hubby insured our two cars i had no no claims he had full so he didnt tell them it was a second car after 4 yrs he now has 2 completly seperate sets of no claims which are 9yrs each. No one ever picked up on it we used axa they never seemed to ask for proof of no claims if you do it via the web. we had an accident last year as well. only draw back is if you have an accident before you have your two seperate pieces of paper showing no claims ie inn the first 12 months you may be asked for proof then your kind of stuck !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My misses is with Diamond and have just found out that they will allow you to use the no claims on two cars! RESULT!

Got a second car quote for about £180 (Mondeo 1.8 TD worth £600!)

Just need to find one now!
Rich.

Glad you got it sorted.

I am insured with Bell Direct and you can take a second and possibly a third car to them and they will match your current no claims.ie, if your first car insured with them has full no claims then they will match that on the second car you insure with them. At present I have three cars with full no claims.
One is not worth insuring mind you.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
tomo.