Puddle in Footwell From Snow

Wai-Fan

Reaction score
Thanks to the snow I have very wet carpets in the car and in the drivers footwell, I can press down on the carpet and water oozes out like a sponge. Will it dry out naturally? If not, what's the best way to dry it out? Finally, will leaving it wet cause any long term damage?

Don't really know what to do, only things I can think of is to find one of them wet vac things or use a hair dryer lol.

Thanks all.

Damn how much snow did you have in your foot well then, as to cause that takes a fair bit surely, ideally would be wise to remove the excess water so it doesnt cause any issues to the underlining of the carpet, which is a kinda foam that water can break up & doesnt rot any of the carpet itself, just stick a towel down there & trample it for a few minutes if you get me, soak most up then should dry by itself.

Wellll my car got stuck trying to get out of my gf's street so had to keep going in and out of the car, so everytime I took a load of snow into the car with my shoes. Anyways, bought some tea towels from Tesco and I've shoved them down there.

When my sportback had a wet passenger side footwell (leak!) i got the largest bath towel i could find folded it so it sat in the footwell like a fitted carpet and stood on it with as much force as i could in a systematic approach using every inch of the surface of the towel. This got alot of the standing water out and then i just repeated again. Another tip is full heat and blow into the footwell when the engines warm when your driving around. This shouldnt be a problem at the moment while its cold outside, i had to do it when it was quite warm during the summer. As a last thing if your car is really wet, i suggest getting a water magent/trap (betterware or supermarket) and stick it in there when you get home leaving it over night to trap as much moisture as possible (take out when your in there and empty reguarly).

Its really important to get rid of the damp as it will go smelly and mingin' if you dont act now.

Elephant sized, maybe a sheep would work better, like a sponge but slightly bigger....................................

lmfao, dude, lol, is that what is known as love lol

Don't leave it that sodden for any longer than necessary, as once mildew starts to form it can be hard to remove and can leave an unpleasant odor in the car. Wet n dry vacuum would be ideal if you can get one, but if not a local valeter would probably do it for you for not a lot of dosh - it's only a 5-10 minute job and the bulk of the water would then have been removed, leaving just dampness which will dry out naturally quite quickly. :sm4:

Although I'm an A6 owner I have had problems with wet footwell areas. The source ( at least in the A6) was leaves and stuff blocking the drains in the area below the windscreen. With the bonnet open have a look under any plastic covers- in the A6 it's where you can access the battery. If the drainage points are blocked water will eventually seep over the top and into the interior. You seem to have enough advice on how to dry out the carpets.

the best thing is a wet and dry vac youll ave it dry in no time

Thanks for the advice guys, cleaned the interior at the weekend and there wasn't any moisture left over thanks to the Tesco tea towels!

I really want to get a wet and dry vac but I would probably use it like twice a year or something so not really worth replacing the good old Henry :)