door lock??

smudgy57

Reaction score
my drivers side door lock on my s3 is playing up!! at least once a day when i shut the door the interior light stays on and the dash tells me my door is still open!! also when i get out of the car, it will lock but wont alarm because it thinks the door is still open. audi told me i need a new door lock, and quoted me £300 to supply and fit a new one. this to me sounds a bit steep, after the weekend i will contact VAG.com to see if they can order me one in or on the other hand i have been offered a second hand door from an s3 for £150, so i can dismantle it and change over the door locks. before i decide to go ahead and buy one or the other and do it myself, im worried if it is going to be a tricky job!!! has anybody taken a door apart preferbaly an s3, if so is there a million and one screws and bits inside or are they pretty straight forward...any advice would be great as im completely lost. thanks

Is there no switch that operates when the door closes. The door will push against this when closed and turn the light off.

The connections may need a clean at the back, it may be a bad earth.

I had same fault on a rover a few years ago. when raining the water was getting into the switch.

Try disconnecting the switch first to see if the problem still occurs.