Advice Needed - Fine scratches in Paintwork

jq_quint

Reaction score
I've owned my black S4 for about 3 weeks now and the gent I bought it off suggested I bought some filler polish by 3M
(can't remember the name), so i assumed it must of been used on my car before my viewing. Since buying I have washed it loads of times and today noticed some some really horrible fine scratches on my bonnet, some i can feel with my nail some not..(they weren't visible when i bought it)

Its just come back from a cam belt change and I feel like banging down the garage owners door as my first instinct was they did it (almost like a dirty rag was on bonnet with a weight on it then it was pulled). But i'm not sure if its them...?

So question is can filler polishes really hide fine scratches this well? and what shall I do about mine now? Re-fill with filler polish if so what would people recommend.

I have ordered some meguires scratchX 2.0 to attempt to cut back..

Any advice appreciated..
Thanks
J.

Hello mate. Congrats on your purchase! I've not been doing this long, but I can agree with S3 Rav, ref the autoglym super resin polish. It filled in the scrathes I had very nicely (sound very similar to yours). I put a layer of collinite over the top for winter protection too. For real DEEP scratches, I did this after finding the info on detailing world......

Make sure area is clean/prepped.Use a very fine brush/applicator pen to apply touch up paint to scratches(the touch up paint must be above the level of the paintwork)Wait 24hrs untill dry. Using some megs 2000/3000 sanding paper and backing pad, wet sand the touch up paint back to the level of the original paintwork. Next, after the area is cleaned again, polish the area with a suitable compound (I used Menzerna) and pad/machine untill all signs of sanding are gone. Clean again.

I did this to several deep scratches. Takes a day or so for 8-10 deep ones. It worked a treat on mine. This was the first thing I did before I clayed/tardised/polished all the paintwork. I hope thos helps mate. As also mentioned above, the PROS, namely Jimmeh, WX etc, will come along and usually what they reccomend you do is worth sticking to!

autoglym srp may do the job. the proper detailers will be along shorty im sure. www.detailingworld.com may be a good place to look.
Glad you said that, as i've ordered AG SRP as well as the meguairs..thanks S3 Rav.

Hello mate. Congrats on your purchase! I've not been doing this long, but I can agree with S3 Rav, ref the autoglym super resin polish. It filled in the scrathes I had very nicely (sound very similar to yours). I put a layer of collinite over the top for winter protection too. For real DEEP scratches, I did this after finding the info on detailing world......

Make sure area is clean/prepped.Use a very fine brush/applicator pen to apply touch up paint to scratches(the touch up paint must be above the level of the paintwork)Wait 24hrs untill dry. Using some megs 2000/3000 sanding paper and backing pad, wet sand the touch up paint back to the level of the original paintwork. Next, after the area is cleaned again, polish the area with a suitable compound (I used Menzerna) and pad/machine untill all signs of sanding are gone. Clean again.

I did this to several deep scratches. Takes a day or so for 8-10 deep ones. It worked a treat on mine. This was the first thing I did before I clayed/tardised/polished all the paintwork. I hope thos helps mate. As also mentioned above, the PROS, namely Jimmeh, WX etc, will come along and usually what they reccomend you do is worth sticking to!

Hi pheonix, who sells collinite and what is it (a wax?). If the scratches are too deep i'll attempt the next stage (as per your suggestion above), but when applying paint and sanding back do you re-apply lacquer top the scratched area?
Thanks
J.

Hello again mate. Collinite 476 is a wax. It is extremely durable and perfect, in my opinion, for the harsh British winter. It's less than 20 squid and the shine isn't bad either!
Many companies sell it in the UK (think it's a yank product), a quick google will reveal these.....

Ref the lacquer, I didn't bother. My results are pretty good, I can hardly see where the scratch used to be (as a matter of fact I can't). Once I had got the paint to a standard I was happy with (took ****** ages, I don't own a machine so had to polish the car by hand.....It was emotional!!!) I put a couple layers of Collinite on to keep my hard work as safe as possible....I highly reccomend it.

Hello again mate. Collinite 476 is a wax. It is extremely durable and perfect, in my opinion, for the harsh British winter. It's less than 20 squid and the shine isn't bad either!
Many companies sell it in the UK (think it's a yank product), a quick google will reveal these.....

Ref the lacquer, I didn't bother. My results are pretty good, I can hardly see where the scratch used to be (as a matter of fact I can't). Once I had got the paint to a standard I was happy with (took ****** ages, I don't own a machine so had to polish the car by hand.....It was emotional!!!) I put a couple layers of Collinite on to keep my hard work as safe as possible....I highly reccomend it.

Picked up some ebony black today so if my polishing/cutting/filling doesn't give the desired results I will resort to the paint (there are a couple of side scratches that are deep so will defo try it), and i'll look into the collinite, thanks for the advice pheonix...

Well attempted the meguire's scratch X2.0 this afternoon, and have to say its pretty good stuff. Certainly not removed but reduced the scratches. What was more impressive was even though after a few attempts and probably a little too heavy pressure it left NO additional scratches (like i've seen in the past with T-Cut). I will continue to persevere over the weekend. The autoglym SRP also helped conceal after. Still gotta sort the wax out ...

Overall now not as bad as it was before.....happy days...