Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    On a journey...

Status

Would you use a local handwash outfit? (New baby!)

We've just had our baby daughter (she's sleeping in front of me as I write!) and I doubt that I'll get to do much basic car washing in the coming months - let alone proper waxing, detailing etc. I do like to have the car looking good though, so I don't want to let standards slip too much.

Don't worry: I fully intend to have the car properly detailed once every six months by a professional! In the meantime, I was considering getting the car washed as and when I can by one of the local car handwashing outfits that seem to have multiplied near to our house. You know - those fiver a go type ones.

Do you think I should do this, or are they all total inexperts who will definitely scratch the car's paintwork?!
    Last edited by Ben H; 2nd December 2009 at 17:01.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic (2010) - Brilliant Red
    Technology Pack (RNSE 2, Bluetooth, 6-CD stack), BOSE, roof rails, 2 child seats and 310bhp

2. # ADS
    ADS

Drive It Like You Stole It

Status
    I'd stay well clear mate tbh. Even If you can only find 10 mins on a Sunday afternoon to give it a quick once over, you'll be saving your paintwork from a lot of damage. These places tend to use the same manky sponge for paint, wheels and whatever else they come across, and said sponges have prob been dropped on the floor numerous times.

Ryan
    Milltek non-resonated cat-back - 15mm MTM spacers - Toyo T1R's all round - RS4 Pedals+foot rest - Blackout model front grilles - Custom black front badge - de-badged boot - R8 oil cap - silver indicator bulbs - Dodo Juice supernatural wax - ECS tuning Porsche cayenne brake kit ready to fit or sell?...

6th Gear

Status
    Yes if you want a sandwash.
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

6th Gear

Status
    Oh, and congrats on the new addition!!
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

On a journey...

Status
    Hmm - a resounding "no" then! On reflection, I agree.

I've found what look like some good local choices for what I'd call "serious" car body care (e.g. Joe's Detailing, Bristol) - but I was really looking for something quick and easy locally.
    Technology Pack (RNSE 2, Bluetooth, 6-CD stack), BOSE, roof rails, 2 child seats and 310bhp

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by john herman View Post
    Oh, and congrats on the new addition!!
    Definitely don't use them mate. I would take 10 minutes just to jet wash it once a week either with your own or at the local garage, that will get rid of the worst of the road grime and salt.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

OCD clean

Status
    Nooooooooooo SWIRL CITY!!!!!
    99 Audi a3 tdi sold....
    56 Audi a3 2.0 tdi sline dsg sportback sold
    06 Audi a3 2.0 tdi sport sold
    2001 Audi a3 1.8 20v turbo sport ( new project draining my wallet )

Status
    I let mine be done at a local handwash.....checkout the before and after pics from when my baby was detailed http://www.whitedetails.co.uk/index.php?id=44

Polished Bliss

Status
    If a car is well detailed and well protected with good quality products then I wouldn't worry about letting standards slip. At present, my car gets washed once every 3-6 months, and fully detailed at the same time. In between I do nothing at all, and while it looks a state, when the time comes round to sort it out a very careful wash reveals perfect unblemished paint beneath. In my world this is far more preferable to a risky quick wash every now and again. At some point in the future it would be nice to resume a two weekly washing routine, but right now we are waaaayyyyy too busy!

On a journey...

Status
    ^^^^

That's very good to hear - I should have thought to ask that.

In that case, I'll giving it minimal washing and let some experts give it the once over every so often.

I should have also mentioned that the car doesn't get used much during the week, as I don't use it to commute and my wife will only be trundling around locally in it. Hopefully it won't get much in the way of salt etc over the winter as a result.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Talk to N8 on here, he's a bristol lad originally & details cars, he'd happily drop down to you I should think & detail your car whenever you want, does a very good job aswell

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Just to add, apart from a big fat NO.. I did see one of the muppets in the local tesco car park drop his chamy on the concrete, then pick it up and continue using it..
    As WX51TXR, mine only gets washed now every couple of months and still looks as good when washed and detailed..

2nd Gear

Status
    if it makes you feel any better...i have three kids (4 month old, 3 year old and a six year old) and still manage to find time to keep my car looking clean and shiny

you will be surprised how much you can get done when you know time is precious :-)
    A4 Cabriolet 2.0T S line special edition

Past motors
    -Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
    -Peugeot 205 GTI
    -Vauxhall Nova SR

Kiteyboy

Status
    pop the baby in the pram thing, get it out in the open air and get washing.
    Evo - May 2002 "...For keen drivers, the revised S3 is currently the best car Audi makes."

thats me

Status
    No ..........
    red to red black to black blue to bits

6th Gear

Status
    I wont use them because they are usually illegal immigrants getting paid 2 an hour. The ones local to me works their bums off though, seen 1 guy per alloy with toothbrushes! ideal for multispokes!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

Neutral

Status
    I know having kids strips you of sleep, time and funds etc......BUT HAVE YOU GONE COMPLETELY MAD??????????????
    A fiver a go wash............. would not let them clean my wheel barrow let alone my motor lol.
    STAY WELL CLEAR MATE!!!!!!!
    Audi S4 1999 Facelift Stock.

Neutral

Status
    Yeah i used to use them, but after getting the detailing bug and trying to correct what they done to my paintwork i would never use them or an electric car wash ever again. As somone said above its like a sandblasting job!