After claying I should........???

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Gents,
Going to treat my other half to a good claying at the weekend. Never clayed a car before and am a bit confused as to what I should do afterwards. Been reading here that you should polish AND wax after claying. I am new to this detailing game and I thought polishing WAS waxing??? Can someone please explain? Can I "just" wax it aftetwards or do I polish as well (if they are different?). The car is dark santorin blue(pearlacent/metallic) The paint is in good nick but has never been clayed. I do however wash and wax it every weekend. It is 10 years old. Any advice ( without confusing me, I like to keep things simple as possible)would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks gents!

Last edited:
In simple terms mate, claying removes any bonded contaminents eg tree sap and small tar spots plus previous applied wax. You will be surprised how good your paints feels and looks after this.

Polishing is an abrasive process that removes any swirl marks and scratches.

Wax puts a protective layer on your paintwork to repel water and road grime.

Be careful though, once you start getting into this it becomes very addictive, lol.

In simple terms mate, claying removes any bonded contaminents eg tree sap and small tar spots plus previous applied wax. You will be surprised how good your paints feels and looks after this.

Polishing is an abrasive process that removes any swirl marks and scratches.

Wax puts a protective layer on your paintwork to repel water and road grime.

Be careful though, once you start getting into this it becomes very addictive, lol.

Is correct, i started off with a claybar kit from meg's and it's gone on from there. I am now a member of detailing world, and i have over a 1000 pounds worth of gear including a tub of wax which cost me £100 :faint: Be carefull it's great fun but can be very expensive forcing her indoors to pull a face. :hubbahubba:

I forgot to add, yes you can wash, clay and wax and the results will be good but if you add the polish stage in (especially by machine) the results will be spectacular.

The 'wash and wax' you did every weekend, tell us more. Was it a waxy based car shampoo?! Turtle-Wax Wash 'n Wax etc..?!

I forgot to add, yes you can wash, clay and wax and the results will be good but if you add the polish stage in (especially by machine) the results will be spectacular.

Ideally, you want to wash > clay > cleanse > wax if you're not polishing.. A Pre-wax cleanser sets a 'base' for the wax to sit on; gives the most durability and less likely to have bonding/curing issues. (ensures paint is 'clean')

http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Pre-Wax-Cleansers.html

Lusso - Revitalising Creme is supposed to be very good. And, I've had stunning results in the past with Limeprime. (with micro-abrasives, so, at the same time, it's correcting to a degree.)

Limeprime result threads:

Aston Martin DB9 - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=74918

Porsche C4S - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=79586

Mercedes SLK - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=80241

Jimmeh: Reference your last I would normally wash, dry and then apply a wax (autoglym super resin/wax). Shampoo wise it would just be a bottle of halfrauds special! Was actually quite happy with the results untill I came across this forum and realised what a difference a proper routine/procedure made!
So I'm going to be doing it early next week. I need some advice from you guys on good products. I do not want to go crazy(I do have a ten year old car after all)but am looking to yield a reasonable/good result. What are, if any, are the mid range products(polish/wax) that most people seem happy with? I will be polishing the car by hand. There are a lot of very fine swirl marks. I understand that a machine is the correct way/best way to do it but I will not be using one due to not having one! What is the best polish for applying by hand? Regarding wax, I am looking for a reasonably durable one that will last a month/couple of?

Many thanks in advance.

Ollie