Advice on products for first attempt at machine polishing

DIABLO636

Reaction score
I've decided to take the financial plunge and invest in a machine polisher.
The main reason being my fathers 2007 black VW Passat.
Its got some of the worst swirling and holograms ive seen on a car and its drives him mad. It looks ****** terrible.

I've tried masking the problem with some AG SRP but its no good a machine polisher is the only way it can be sorted and i'll get some use on my Audi too which at now over 3 years old could do with some more tlc.
It will probably also get used on a silver mini cooper, blue Seat Altea and a navy VW Golf so i think i can justify the expense.

Im looking at the following from polished bliss:
DAS-6 Hard Paint Machine Polishing Kit

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/das-6-hard-paint-machine-polishing-kit-polish.html

1 x Kestrel DAS-6 Dual Action Polishing Machine
1 x Menzerna RD3.02 250 ml
1 x Menzerna 85RE 250 ml
2 x Menzerna 135 mm Compounding Pads
2 x Menzerna 135 mm Polishing Pads
2 x Menzerna 135 mm Finishing Pads
1 x Menzerna 80 mm Compounding Pads
1 x Menzerna 80 mm Polishing Pads
1 x Menzerna 80 mm Finishing Pads
1 x 75 mm Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate
1 x 3M 3434 High Performance Masking Tape
1 x Meguiars Triple Duty Detail Brush

Would i need any other polishes to 'finish' with or are the polishes provided here the final stage before waxing?
If i do need any further polish Could i use the AG SRP with the machine polisher or would i need something else ?

Cheers,

Nope! No other polishes required.. 85RE is a wonderful finishing polish.

85RE is designed to permanently remove minor paint defects such as wash marring and light swirl marks to create a smooth, highly reflective surface in readiness for the addition of wax or sealant protection.

Go from that, straight to your chosen wax.

Have you read any of the machine polishing guides before?

I think i've read so many of the guides i've overloaded on information......
cleanyourcar.co.uk have a similar offer but have an extra polish included (but less polishing pads) so that kind of confused me into thinking that there was maybe another step. I've been reading up on detailing worlds guides too. Dont want to end uo forking out the cash then messing it up or not getting the results i'd want.

Sure, no, thats fine. You just have to bear in mind that, the majority of the cars you have lined up, (your Audi, the two VW's and the SEAT) are likely to have hard paint. But, I'm sure you knew that already from reading the guides..

I think the 'missing polish' is Menz PowerGloss that you're talking about? Never used it, but, I'm sure it's supposed to be pretty hardcore stuff. (I'd say stick with the RD3.02 for now, as, not sure how you'd get on with the PowerGloss on just using the DA)

You'll do well to get the results you want first time round.. it's a case of being patient and working out the correct technique and combo's for each of the cars.. neither of them will be the same!

Do let us know how you get on though.

Last edited:
Will do, and i'll try and take some photo's too.
If the passat gets even 50% corrected it will be worth it as it looks so bad at the moment. Whoever machined polishd it previously really messed it up and the buffer trails are probably a bigger issue than the swirling.

I might actually hang on until Novmeber before buying the kit. Missed out on buying a G220 with the 20% discount and read on another post that there might be more offers in november? Anybody from polished bliss care to confirm ?? (fingers crossed especially as i probably need some other random bits from them too, new claybars etc.)

There will indeed be an offer on the DAS-6 throughout Nov and Dec... and on a lot of other products too (but not those currently on special offer!). When it comes to the kits and their contents, all I can say is this - unusually for a trader, we actually detail all of the time in a professional capacity at the top end of the market. So, when we build our kits, we do so from an experienced stand point, and we put the contents together in such a way as to make the task in hand as easy and straightforward as possible. :icon_thumright:

Thanks Rich,
I'll definitely be putting in an order for the kit in november. Want to get the cars done asap. Is there anything else on particular you think I might need? Got to get another clay bar, got plenty of last touch, srp, egp and collinite 472.
I've been reading other peoples experiances of trying to correct VW paint.......I'm going to have my work cut out. How much do the halogen torches/lamps cost? To make sure I can see all the scratches.