Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Low life livin' the high life.

Status

Removing Scratches From Headlights...

Alright guys...

Just recently i had an unfortunate meeting with a traffic bollard. Nothing to serious but the bollard basically flexed and slapped HARD against the car .

It's scuffed the paintwork but not really scratched it (nothing you can get your finger nail into). I'm thinking this will be a simple correction with some Autoglym Pain Renovator or Meg's Scratch X.

The headlight on the NSF has also been scuffed with light scratches. Obviously the lenses on the A3 are smooth, clear plastic so what's best to use? Is Meg's PlastX abrasive enough to remove anything more than surface swirling?

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance fellas.

Paul.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

2. # ADS
    ADS

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    Anyone?

No recommendations for a product to remove scratches from headlights?
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

Smell my finger.

Status
    I'd flat them back up to 2000 grit, maybe higher and then machine polish them

Did my sister in laws civic lights and they look fantastic.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

2nd Gear

Status
    you can get a plastic scratch repair kit in the screwfix catalogue for a couple of quid other places do it too even halfrauds

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    I'd flat them back up to 2000 grit, maybe higher and then machine polish them

Did my sister in laws civic lights and they look fantastic.
    need to have faith to attempt that lol, i have a tiny hazy patch on the top one of mine where i caught it with my polisher so i could do with trying something

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s4marsh View Post
    need to have faith to attempt that lol, i have a tiny hazy patch on the top one of mine where i caught it with my polisher so i could do with trying something

I used a really soft cut pad and Menz final finish on the Civic lights after sanding and they came up great. I did my rear lights too before fitting them (they were used) and they came up a treat!.

I did feel nervous when I started the Civic ones but it paid off. I think the higher grit you use the better. If you can get hold of some 3000 grit they wont take much polishing to get them looking spot on. I used a rotary for the machine polishing.

T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook
    Following Tom's advise, I'd go 2000grit followed by 4000 and then brought out by machine polisher. I'd never drop below 2000 tbh.
    Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi 130 Quattro Sport.
    WhiteDetails.co.uk - Facebook? Follow me!

Polished Bliss

Status
    As above, but you might want to try compounding them first, as you might not actually need to sand them - a light compound like Menzerna 203S on a light cut pad works wonders in many cases, and might save some time and effort. If you do need to sand, check out Mirka's Abralon discs, as you can jump from 2000 to 4000, and thus leave an even finer haze to buff out. See here for details of the products mentioned...

203S - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...3s-polish.html

Mirka Discs - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...es-polish.html

2nd Gear

Status
    good info i'm gonna get busy.