Removing Scratches From Headlights...

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
Alright guys...

Just recently i had an unfortunate meeting with a traffic bollard. Nothing to serious but the bollard basically flexed and slapped HARD against the car :banghead:.

It's scuffed the paintwork but not really scratched it (nothing you can get your finger nail into). I'm thinking this will be a simple correction with some Autoglym Pain Renovator or Meg's Scratch X.

The headlight on the NSF has also been scuffed with light scratches. Obviously the lenses on the A3 are smooth, clear plastic so what's best to use? Is Meg's PlastX abrasive enough to remove anything more than surface swirling?

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance fellas.

Paul.

Anyone?

No recommendations for a product to remove scratches from headlights?

I'd flat them back up to 2000 grit, maybe higher and then machine polish them :)

Did my sister in laws civic lights and they look fantastic.

you can get a plastic scratch repair kit in the screwfix catalogue for a couple of quid other places do it too even halfrauds

I'd flat them back up to 2000 grit, maybe higher and then machine polish them :)

Did my sister in laws civic lights and they look fantastic.

need to have faith to attempt that lol, i have a tiny hazy patch on the top one of mine where i caught it with my polisher so i could do with trying something

need to have faith to attempt that lol, i have a tiny hazy patch on the top one of mine where i caught it with my polisher so i could do with trying something

I used a really soft cut pad and Menz final finish on the Civic lights after sanding and they came up great. I did my rear lights too before fitting them (they were used) and they came up a treat!.

I did feel nervous when I started the Civic ones but it paid off. I think the higher grit you use the better. If you can get hold of some 3000 grit they wont take much polishing to get them looking spot on. I used a rotary for the machine polishing.

T

Following Tom's advise, I'd go 2000grit followed by 4000 and then brought out by machine polisher. I'd never drop below 2000 tbh.

As above, but you might want to try compounding them first, as you might not actually need to sand them - a light compound like Menzerna 203S on a light cut pad works wonders in many cases, and might save some time and effort. If you do need to sand, check out Mirka's Abralon discs, as you can jump from 2000 to 4000, and thus leave an even finer haze to buff out. See here for details of the products mentioned...

203S - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/menzerna-203s-polish.html

Mirka Discs - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/mirka-abralon-sanding-discs-and-accessories-polish.html

:icon_thumright: