Polished Bliss - Clark's WR1 + Project Awesome

WX51TXR

Polished Bliss
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
Done by Clark, posted by me as he’s busy detailing a rack of precious metal...

---

I finally got the time to spend a few days on my own car recently to get it looking its best for the summer. Here it is looking about as dirty as it ever gets in all honesty:

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

Usually the next pic you see is the pre-foam but first of all it was reversed onto a set of ramps...

C3.jpg

Over the winter I'd spent a couple of weeks cleaning the underside and polishing up the exhaust and rear diff casing etc. I was meant to post pics of the full thing but I've completely lost them on my computer, I can only assume I deleted them by mistake or something! The only pic I have is a before one of the exhaust/diff:

C4.jpg

And here it is after I'd used a combination of sandpaper, Blackfire Wool Metal Pads and polishes and the Rotary/Dremel:

C5.jpg

Still pretty clean but occasionally the car does get driven in the rain (it's pampered but not THAT pampered!) so it had a small level of dirt that I wanted to remove in order to keep everything nice and clean. So everything was soaked with R222 and left for 5 mins:

C6.jpg

Then steam cleaned with the Karcher at 60/70 degrees:

C7.jpg

Due to all the black underseal it's never going to look "bling" like a lot of your RS owners, etc, but it looks nice and clean anyways, these are a few pics after a quick blast off with the Black Baron drier:

C8.jpg

C9.jpg

C10.jpg

I then gave the metal work a quick going over with Brilliant Show Metal Polish before taking the car off the ramps:

C11.jpg

C12.jpg

C13.jpg

Next up was to remove and then clean/seal all 4 wheels. They were given a quick spray with APC then washed with a MF mitt, clayed and then sealed with Blackfire Metal Sealant:

C15.jpg

C16.jpg

C17.jpg

I also polished up my nuts!

C18.jpg

C19.jpg

I had already given the arches a thorough clean before I put the car away for winter and they were still clean so no point with pics of those. The calipers were sealed with Blackfire Metal Sealant aswell though:

C14.jpg

1 down, 3 to go..

C20.jpg

With all the wheels finally done I pre-foamed the car with APC:

C21.jpg

The usual wash routine followed so I won’t bother with pics. Following a quick clay with Gloss-It Mild then a re-wash I dried the car off with the new drier:

C22.jpg

Then the 1st of 3 coats of Gloss-It Signature Tyre Dressing was applied:

C23.jpg

Paint wise - the car was 99% swirl free but as it had been into the bodyshop for its front end respray a few months back it had picked up the expected bit of marring and odd light scratch or two, nothing major so Meguiars 205 and Gloss-It polishing pads were used with the G220:

C24.jpg

On cars with very little correction needed I regularly find that it's quicker to work by DA than the Rotary, especially on the likes of Imprezas/Evo's where you have to break up a lot of panels into smaller sections. As expected, the 205 produced a crystal clear finish for all to see...

C25.jpg

C26.jpg

C27.jpg

C33.jpg

As mentioned already, the car had received a front end respray (bumper, bonnet and both wings) at the local Porsche Approved Bodyshop and I still can’t praise them highly enough for the quality of the job. Usually you see horror stories from bodyshops with pictures of horrendous buffer trails etc but this is about the full extent of what I was faced with:

C28.jpg

The lightest of buffer trails and that was it, easily sorted with the Megs and Gloss-It combination:

C30.jpg

C31.jpg

C32.jpg

Even in places where you would expect a bit of orange peel there was very little if any at all:

C29.jpg

Big thumbs up from me!

When all the polishing was completed the paint was dusted down...

C34.jpg

...and given the usual Top Inspection wipe down:

C35.jpg

Our "Project Awesome" sealant was then machined into the paint at speed 5 on the G220 and left for an hour then buffed off. Next day I applied the 1st of 3 coats of Concorso Gloss:

C36.jpg

In between waiting for the Gloss coats to cure I did all the other little details such as lightly polishing the mud flaps with Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish:

C37.jpg

I polished and sealed the shuts with Werkstat Prime Strong:

C38.jpg

C39.jpg

Door seals/rubbers were conditioned with Gloss-It TRV:

C40.jpg

C41.jpg

Front splitter was dressed with Meguiars All Season Dressing:

C42.jpg

The interior is regularly cleaned with all the plastics dressed and protected with Werkstat Satin Prot so it just needed a quick hoover and the glass was done with the Werkstat Glass Sealant System.

A final wipe down with Werkstat Acrylic Gloss was all that remained...

C43.jpg

...which gave the following results:

C44.jpg

C45.jpg

C46.jpg

C47.jpg

C48.jpg

C49.jpg

C50.jpg

C51.jpg

C52.jpg

C53.jpg

C54.jpg

C55.jpg

C56.jpg

C57.jpg

C58.jpg

C59.jpg

C60.jpg

C61.jpg

C62.jpg

C63.jpg

C64.jpg

And here are a few that I took yesterday after a wash. These were taken with my new compact (Fuji film F200 EXR) so I'm still getting to grips with it:

C66.jpg

C67.jpg

C68.jpg

C69.jpg

C70.jpg

C71.jpg

C73.jpg

C74.jpg

C72.jpg

C75.jpg

C76.jpg

C78.jpg

C80.jpg

C77.jpg

C79.jpg

C65.jpg

Thanks for looking as always – a Ne Plus Ultra detail will probably be next.

Clark

Wow that is clean.

You have even started detailing underneath! :whip:

Excellent work! Lovely car too :)

is that a Focus RS I spy in the background?.

madness that must have taken days to do, I always have big plans to clean my car that end up going out of the window :)