A few paint defects (PICS) Advice Please

Westy

Reaction score
Please take a look at these 2 photos of the paint work on the drivers side front pillar. The first one is cracking, which I think/hope is just in the laquer. The second is of tiny stone chip marks in the laquer.

Can anyone advise of the best way to tackle these marks, would a machine polish take it out?

Cracked_Laq.jpg

Stone_Chips.jpg

Hmmm, the cracks would be in danger of just ripping the laquer off if you machine polish it I think.

As for the other marks,....my front bumpers like that. I've gone steady with a rotary over it but the damage is too deep on mine to get rid of it (which I kind of thought before starting). I think the only real cure for both is a repaint sadly.

I'm happy to be proved wrong though, its pushing my detailing know how well out of my comfort zone!.

Does seem a bit off if its only localised, ever had any pant redone in that area on the car?

I haven't but one of the previous owners has had some work done on the passenger side as Audi rejected my paaint claim for the rusty roof, but nothing on the drivers side! Maybe the pasenger pillar had a similar issue because that has been resprayed with the rest of the passenger side! Its all a bit weird because the passenger roof rail has definitely been out before because it is kinked. I think this is what led to the rust. I went and bought a new rail so that the bodyshop could put a nice new flat piece in to replace the old one.

Respray required in both cases, as the cracked lacquer cannot be fixed, only replaced, and the stone chips are too numerous to spend time filling and flatting back - a respray will be the only way to achieve full correction. Odd lacquer problem, only seen it a few times before (notably on an Evo we look after), usually caused by a poor choice of lacquer being used. :yes: