Volks AutosSky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

Best S3 insurance?

Having moved back from the US I am planning on getting my first car in the UK and am really after an S3. I've seen one I am interested in (2001 210BHP) I now need to find the best insurance deal I can. I live in London and am 27 and have 0 years NCB. So far the best quote I have got (from www.confused.com) was 1198 fully comp from Admiral.

Is this reasonable?

Should I try anyone else?

Who does everyone else use?

Thanks people.

Marc

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: Best S3 insurance?

You could try Direct Line, Admiral and Adrian Flux. DL and Admiral are online so you could get a quote quite quickly

1st Gear

Status

try www.elephant.co.uk they are the internet version of admiral and foudn to be the best all the time and cheapest.

6th Gear

Status

Defo, S3 is the way forward. Beautifully constructed car with the pace to match and the ability to upgrade.

Anyways, I use www.privilege.co.uk, mainly beacuse they can guarantee a hire car for a small fee. Admittedly Elephant and Admiral were cheaper but they couldn't offer the hire car option not that I saw anyway. I'm 27 with 5 NCB and it is 532.00ish, in a garage.

One thing i did notice to get the costs down was to put a named lady driver on there, it saved me about 90.00 a year! Also on the mileage you can save a bit here by putting down 9/10k miles, my cars on 65k so I need to keep the miles down this year, obviously if you do more then keep it as it should be as this could invalidate your claim.

On the car check out the market place I think there were two in there for sale, but thats depending on your budget and spec you're after.

Good luck

2nd Gear

Status

Thanks for the advice. I don't really need a hire car as I don't need the car for work or anything essential. The quote I got was including my girlfriend as a named driver and with a 7000 mile limit so it's probably about as good as I can get it for. Not sure about Elephant, there must be a reason they are so cheap?

One of my friends has a TVR and he said that sometimes owners clubs have special insurance deals. Is there an Audi S car owners club? Is there any kind of associated insurance?

Hopefully going for a test drive on Saturday so I hope the weather holds up!

Marc

Neutral

Status

I got the audi insurance, though its underwitten by another company. Like you I moved from the States 4 years ago and have been through two S3's since then. I have 4 years no claims and mine is 860 for a 6 month old S3 with 18", and chrome mirrors, parked on a drive way. I think my first S3 cost me about 1056.

Give them a call, it might be worth your while.

2nd Gear

Status

Thanks. When I go in for the test drive on Saturday I shall try to get them to give me a quote and see how it compares. So far I have been quoted 1198 from Admiral and 1008 from Elephant.

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    marctwo said:
    Thanks. When I go in for the test drive on Saturday I shall try to get them to give me a quote and see how it compares. So far I have been quoted 1198 from Admiral and 1008 from Elephant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that Elephant are part of Admiral the choice between the above is a no-brainer.

I went with Elephant this year, I asked on the forum if anyone had had any bother and got mainly good responses, with some howlers relating to total loss claims of low value cars. My experience is that they all turn into "Generic Unhelpful Insurance Company Ltd" at the point where your claim doesn't go as smoothly as it could, if your car is written off I think they all try and get one over on the you the customer by offering less than your car is really worth, it's natural for them they want to make money. Spend the 190 on a solictor instead if you end up having to claim!

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    SimonP said:
    Given that Elephant are part of Admiral the choice between the above is a no-brainer.

I went with Elephant this year, I asked on the forum if anyone had had any bother and got mainly good responses, with some howlers relating to total loss claims of low value cars. My experience is that they all turn into "Generic Unhelpful Insurance Company Ltd" at the point where your claim doesn't go as smoothly as it could, if your car is written off I think they all try and get one over on the you the customer by offering less than your car is really worth, it's natural for them they want to make money. Spend the 190 on a solictor instead if you end up having to claim!

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend just happens to be a Solicitor so I think I can even save the cost of that too!

Got this comment from one of the helpful chaps over at www.audi-sport.net:

[ QUOTE ]
    GreigM said:
    One thing to be VERY aware of:

Elephant/admiral/diamond will only cover the "standard" model of the car and not any factory options.

For example, my boxster, book price 31.5K and as with most Porsche 20% of value added in factory options - leather seats, 18" wheels etc...total price approx 37K new.

Admiral WILL charge you extra for these "options" as they are seen as modifications - even if they are factory fitted!!

BUT they WILL NOT replace them in the event of a write-off/theft...they will only replace to the base specification...i.e. replace a 37K car with a 31.5K car.

So just be sure you are willing to take the drop in spec if you need to replace anything on the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

1st Gear

Status

Ah, that's the catch, I guess I knew there probably was one. I visited Elephant's website and here's what it says

"If you make a claim for loss or damage to your car, we will only pay the cost of replacing parts needed for the car to meet the manufacturer's standard specification."

When I was skimming it to assess whether to take out the policy I read that to mean that they would cover anything Audi bolted in when I bought the car new and they might quibble over anything I'd played with.

Don't you just love the combination of the english language and small print.

Come the revolution they're all going against the wall anyway.... :-)

1st Gear

Status

im 21 and have s3. i was with tescos 1ast year. was 1k with them and i have changed to direct line as of this month as 2nd year insurance is now 658 with them all ncd protected and fully comp.

Brum brum

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    SimonP said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. I went with Elephant as they were cheaper than anyone else for me (440 for fully comp 30 yr old with full no claims). I had a total loss claim, Elephant turned into 'Generic Unhelpful Insurance Company Ltd'. I was arguing with them for weeks. They made offers, withdrew them, sent me letters that didn't even make sense and which contradicted the verbal offers. I stuck to my guns and won in the end - but I reckon I was on the phone to them for an hour a day for at least 2 weeks to get it all sorted.

As SimonP says, if you give them your money and don't claim, they are happy. If you make a claim, the company you think are there to help you, you discover are there to help themselves and want to minimise their costs.

So I'd always go with the cheaper option because if you ever do have to claim, it will be a nightmare whoever you go with.

1st Gear

Status

Told ya marc. I've been with them for a few years now and saved a packet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

Tanya, 659!!! What insurance grade do you live in??? ---A ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads...true#Post81496

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Black S3 said:
    Tanya, 659!!! What insurance grade do you live in??? ---A ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads...true#Post81496

[/ QUOTE ]

That explains a lot! I seem to have picked a nice F grade area to live in [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

Me too!