Scratched multitronic gearlever surround

Corb2000

Million miler
Reaction score
The metal gearlever surround on my multitronic has lots of fine scratches. I've tried to reduce the appearance of these with Autosol but they still really bug me.

I'm tempted to just use fine wire wool across the whole surround and then Autosol it again to give it an even finish but worry this could go horribly wrong.

Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with these scratches or even how easy is it to replace the surround. I've pulled at the wood trim around it but it is not clear how what is removable.

I know more than one of you out there has sorted this before....

I’m not familiar with your surround or trim type, the plastic surround on my car has a metal ‘bead’ detail, this became damaged and dented, it only cost £30 or so to replace, if your trim is anything other than standard, i.e. piano black it will cost two to three times more.

Any chance of a good quality image of the problem please? I think I know the material involved, but I'd like to check before commenting further. :yes:

These two photos should give you a good idea of the problem. I've looked at how the surround is assembled and replacement looks like it would be very difficult, hence insitu treatment likely to be my only option unless anyone else knows otherwise? Thanks for the advice, really appreciated.

DSCN0539.jpg

DSCN0540.jpg

I would look into finding out how you get the surround off. Your Audi service people should be able to advise you, or post up elsewhere on the forum. It's worth getting it off to do it properly. Autosol should provide some form of cut and you would then want to finish with a finishing metal polish like Meguiar's NXT Metal Polish. And if you've got a DA or rotary machine that would be even better, but looks as though it may take a fair bit of effort by hand!.

I wouldn't worry about cutting it then refining it. I'm going through the same routine at the moment with my exterior aluminium trim. If you are going to do it with the surround in situ, just make sure you tape up either side of the surround and fill the centre area around the stick with something.

It's a part of the interior that is just so visible and it's probably doing your head in so it's worth getting it out of situ IMO. Post up the after pics if you can please!:icon_thumright:

Blimey, it's worse than I had imagined. I think John is right - removing it will enable more intensive work to be done on it, without fear of damaging any of the surrounding trims (or having to extensively mask them off). Given that a lot of the nicks look to be quite deep, I think a machine polishing approach may be needed; either that, or a hell of a lot of elbow grease. A heavy cut metal polish like Blackfire Heavy Cut Metal Compound applied using a cutting pad should enable progress to be made, but will leave a satin finish that will then need to be burnished back up to a high gloss using progressively finer metal polishes such as Blackfire Fine Cut Metal Polish or Raceglaze Alutech Metal Polish and softer foam pads. Whatever route you choose it is going to be hard work, but I would urge you to explore the removal possibilities first, as this will make your life easier. :yes:

Ok guys, not as straightforward as I'd hoped for but I'll press on with trying to remove the surround to make a decent job of it. Thanks for the advice as always.