Mods + Insurance

JamesCG1307

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Audi A3 1.8T. This is booked into AMD next for the ecu remap and also to have the front brakes upgraded.

I am currently insured with Elephant but they say that they cannot insure me with the ecu remap.

Can anyone here suggest a good uk insurance company. I have 5 years no claims and my elephant premium was £490.

Thanks

James

Adrian Flux are meant to be good for mods. And i've heard Liverpool Victoria might be ok as well.

Not modified though!!!. Might just have to tell a porky and deny all knowledge if any think happens

wouldnt advise that james, if somethin hapens they could refuse to pay u anythin! now hat would be expensive!

cheers tony

[ QUOTE ]
JamesCG1307 said:
Not modified though!!!. Might just have to tell a porky and deny all knowledge if any think happens

[/ QUOTE ]

I know its cheaper to do that and im not getting up on my high horse, but if it can be avoided. insurance is so god damn stupid.

Get this, adrian flux will insure me no problem on my A3 with porsche brakes, 18" alloys, bodykit, upgraded suspension 300bhp! for a small price of £1100. Not bad eh? well here comes the STUPID bit!

I do a quote for an S3 with LESS bhp (270), and all the extra bits the same and suddenly they wont quote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif For a STANDARD s3 they couldnt beat elephant at £1100. its just so stupuid and very frustrating as that may be the one deciding factor as to whether or not i can change the car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
JamesCG1307 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I know its cheaper to do that and im not getting up on my high horse, but if it can be avoided. insurance is so god damn stupid.

Get this, adrian flux will insure me no problem on my A3 with porsche brakes, 18" alloys, bodykit, upgraded suspension 300bhp! for a small price of £1100. Not bad eh? well here comes the STUPID bit!

I do a quote for an S3 with LESS bhp (270), and all the extra bits the same and suddenly they wont quote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif For a STANDARD s3 they couldnt beat elephant at £1100. its just so stupuid and very frustrating as that may be the one deciding factor as to whether or not i can change the car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

£1100 is a bargin mate! That is over 50% less than I currently have to pay. I have 3 years no claims too. Will be 4 in a few months time. And I bet I still can't get a quote for less than £2k.

If it is more than £2k again this year, I think I will have to sell her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
JamesCG1307 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

£1100 is a bargin mate! That is over 50% less than I currently have to pay. I have 3 years no claims too. Will be 4 in a few months time. And I bet I still can't get a quote for less than £2k.

If it is more than £2k again this year, I think I will have to sell her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

but thats £1100 standar. £1900 with just a chip, and god knows how much for the rest! Its criminal. How are are you Greg?

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

I do a quote for an S3 with LESS bhp (270), and all the extra bits the same and suddenly they wont quote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif For a STANDARD s3 they couldnt beat elephant at £1100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prob down to theftability.

S3 is probably more desirable in the eyes of ya common all council estate joyrider. Whereas the A3, no matter what you have done to it, probably isn't.

Thats my theory.

I'm alright cheers Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

£2500 is for my "standard" S3 :-/

I think I'd save more money if I moved house than I can on my car insurance.

r88per very nice avator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sorry peeps i jus had 2 say it

[ QUOTE ]
JamesCG1307 said:
Done better than those quotes.

If I keep AMD to 25% more BHP then Elephant will insure me with lowered suspension and non standard exhaust and upgraded front brakes for £811 a year.

Should be able to do this as max performace gain I can get with AMD is 26%. Will be close but I will ring and tell them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just pray that the day you have your car remapped is warm,nice and sunny with temps 20degrees+. Had my car remapped last week at AmD and got a 24% increase in BHP (209 -> 260) with pre and post rolling road readouts. The temp was 22degreesC, which explains why I ONLY got 260 bhp, but the 300lb torque figure is more impressive. The drive home took half the time I needed to get there, as I was having some fun on the M40 with an M3 and 850 Csi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am 26 now but will be 27 when AMD have done their bits.

[ QUOTE ]
JamesCG1307 said:

If I keep AMD to 25% more BHP then Elephant will insure me with lowered suspension and non standard exhaust and upgraded front brakes for £811 a year.

Should be able to do this as max performace gain I can get with AMD is 26%. Will be close but I will ring and tell them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

mate,

Dont have to be THAT specific! If you have an accident its not as if they can dyno it!!

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:

[/ QUOTE ]

DoH! i MEANT how OLD are you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
JamesCG1307 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

mate,

Dont have to be THAT specific! If you have an accident its not as if they can dyno it!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Why bother notifying them at all them?

(playing devil's advocate here!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
JamesCG1307 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

mate,

[/ QUOTE ]
Why bother notifying them at all them?

(playing devil's advocate here!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Well the chances of you having an accident that makes them rip out the ECU, check the code .etc is very slim indeed so chances are you'd be fine...however, what happens if they do check it? bit screwed eh!

The big problem that you need to consider is what would happen if you were involved in an accident that resulted in a death. Then maybe there would be much more investigation and if you had not disclosed something to your insurers then you are basically fecked for life.

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
The big problem that you need to consider is what would happen you were involved in an accident that resulted in a death. Then maybe there would be much more investigation and if you had not disclosed something to your insurers then you are basically fecked for life.

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Theres much more to conside than just damage to vehicles.

Rich

As I said guys, I'm playing devils advocate here.

Rich said "If you have an accident its not as if they can dyno it!!"

DuncS3, will notifying your insurance company that you have a chip that increases your car's power by 25% and paying a higher premium make you feel any better if you (God forbid!) killed someone?

At the end of the day, mods should be declared!

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
As I said guys, I'm playing devils advocate here.

Rich said "If you have an accident its not as if they can dyno it!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant the amount you declare it as is not of much consiquence cos they cant really dyno it to find the figure out for sure, so for a chip declare it as 25% as if its 27%, they cant really find out

[ QUOTE ]

DuncS3, will notifying your insurance company that you have a chip that increases your car's power by 25% and paying a higher premium make you feel any better if you (God forbid!) killed someone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it would! Mainly cos you will not have to pay the family compensation, legal costs, .etc.etc

[ QUOTE ]
At the end of the day, mods should be declared!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Who's going to check? The Police used to take cars out on a road test, not anymore, too many cars getting nicked, crashed etc that there isn't time. Also, an Insurence assesser will rarly, if at all, check to see if the ECU has been modified, for the similar reasons given above. There is always a risk involved obviously, but I know what I would do shhhhhhh....

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
pure said:

[/ QUOTE ]

DoH! i MEANT how OLD are you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, 25 next month mate.

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
pure said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, 25 next month mate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... thats weird how much it costs you. ****** ripoff! Im live in a VERY low car crime area which probably helps, but i owuldnt have though less than half the price (onsidering age difference!)

Rich

I have just got a quote for the S3 I will be getting in a couple of weeks.

2002 model S3 (standard). I am 23 with 7 years no claims and Adrian Flux quoted me £720 fully comp.

Not sure if living in Jersey makes a difference?

Well, I'm in a F code. No wonder my quotes are high.

ahh! that will be why mines soo cheap bein in a A code area! need cheaper though.

cheers tony

Glad to see I have started a nice topical thread.

Just to let you know that the ecu remap is on hold. AMD said it would take the car to 200 bhp which is 33% and Elephant won't do that. My insurance is due for renewal in 2 months so will wait till then so i get my 6th year on no claims.

Getting the brakes done, milltek exhaust and also koni suspension to lower the car. Forgot to ask them how much that will cost but don't really care. This takes elephant insurane up by £17 untill I renew and then £120 for a whole year.

Did a quote with Adrian Flux yesterday saying about the brakes and ecu remap and they have given me a provisional quote of £650. Will have to ring them and find out and then maybe get the remap done.

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
Refer?! how nice. How about your post code?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im 'A' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif OX28 (Oxford)

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

That was not my point at all. To answer your question though, in purely black & white terms I would feel 'better' if in the event of a terrible accident of this nature, I was correctly insured and didnt have to 'worry' about a potential prison sentence and the likelyhood of being sued for every penny I had for the sake of a few hundred quid

PS All my mods are declared /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Dunc

Who else can i try for a reasonable quote on a modded S3? everywhere i tried so far either say ****** off, or £2000 please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ive tried Greenlight (the best so far at £1600 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) and Adrian Flux, elephant, Admiral, .etc.etc

If anyone knows of anywhere else that are good with young drivers in modded cars please let me know!

Rich

Have you tried getting a quote by adding your GF/partner onto it?, make up one if you have to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif , was paying £680 when I first got my S3 at 24, now paying £550 at 27 living in B class area

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Have you tried getting a quote by adding your GF/partner onto it?, make up one if you have to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif , was paying £680 when I first got my S3 at 24, now paying £550 at 27 living in B class area

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha! Tend to put my mum on the insurance as that drops it a huge amount. Unfortunately, these quotes are with that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Who else can i try for a reasonable quote on a modded S3? everywhere i tried so far either say ****** off, or £2000 please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ive tried Greenlight (the best so far at £1600 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) and Adrian Flux, elephant, Admiral, .etc.etc

If anyone knows of anywhere else that are good with young drivers in modded cars please let me know!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

rich.

try tesco/direct line/ priviledge or better still BARCLAYCARD DIRECT

all part of same group sharing key resourses, but all are mod friendly.

bonus of barclaycard is blanket £100 excess on all policies.

only thing out of all my mods to cost was remap +20% which was less than £200 on first S3 and nearly F all on second more expensive, more loaded s3, as they gave me £160 REBATE ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also try Liverpool and Victoria if you are over 30