Water spot removal on black paintwork

JAM35F

Reaction score
Washed my car as normal and rinsed off with low pressure hose, chasing the suds off the car. I didnt take a long time to do this and immediately towelled the car down, but was left with spots all over the black paintwork where water drops had dried.

These literally felt rough, like they were a deposit of limestone/chalk from hardwater. A wax didnt remove them, quick detailer partly did but I think I may need to repolish now.

Is there any way to prevent this or a quick way to remove the spots? Or shall I move house?!!!

I should add I've not had this problem before, owned lots of black cars in this area. Any geologists out there know if hardwater levels change every so often?

sounds a bit like sap from a tree, I had to get the wife to park in a different spot at work as it use to do my head in.

Defo not sap as car is never parked under a tree, spots are either from rain (didnt notice if they were there before wash) or from water from hose drying on car.

They have partly gone but I think a polish or clay may be needed to totally remove them, due it's spring clay clean soon anyway.

Clay first, but chances are a light polish will be needed. Water spots can be a real pain to eliminate, and the causes aren't always fully clear. If you are in a soft water area then they may have been 'rained out' only for you to notice during the next wash, but another potential cuase at this time of year is very salty roadspray, which flicks up over the whole car (from a passing lorry say) and then dries in situ in the sun once you are parked up. As I said though, a lot of potential causes, but the solution will be a combination of claying and polishing. :icon_thumright:

Thanks, will give that a go. Am confident they will come out as even just quick detailer removed the majority of the mark. Can only be seen from a few inches away so not end of the world for now. Will clay and polish soon then. Annoying had planned to clay in a month or so when I get my rotary polisher...