2004 JAGUAR S-TYPE

jr001

Reaction score
This car belongs to a friend who had recently bought it after owning a black one. There were some aspects of the paintwork that he wasn't too happy with. Kitchen scourers and wire sponges had been the previous owner's tools of choice for removing bird droppings. Even some of the glass had similar tell-tale signs. Chris was looking to have things improved to get more from the finish.

UPDATE: Chris has just sold this car to a JAG dealer and got 800 quid above the book price due to the condition of the paint! Result.

A bit of long process to do this write-up following computer disk failures, reformatting new disk etc, probs with IE and everything that goes with it.
So, a brief write up.

This was a big car and would stretch my 2-day timescale to the max. 2 days can normally be quite tight on a car but this one proved to require the most amount of machining I've ever carried out on a single car.

The car drove really well from my home to the garage with the V6 totally effortless. A cracking car really.

The car after its wash and aggressive claying:

Picture001.jpg

Once inside, the defects really started to indicate just how tight this 2 days was going to be. Most of the car (except bumpers) required TWO hits of Fast Cut Plus, followed by Menzerna 106FA refining.
Some wet-sanding was carried out on the bonnet and roof to remove some deeper scratches and severely diminish others. Consequently, not the usual supply of photos for this one.

Initial testing with polishing pad and Menzerna 3.02 revealed super swirl removal but some deeper ones remaining.

Bumpers done with Menzerna 3.02.

Some intial defect pics:

Picture005.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture023.jpg

This gives you an idea of what was typically left after one hit of 3M FCP:

Picture013.jpg

Some pics to show the level of improvements brought about:

Picture012.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture007.jpg

One of the scourer areas on the roof:

Picture006.jpg

Wet-sanded and machined out:

Picture025.jpg

Paint cleansing carried out with panel wipe. Final protection Zaino Z2-Pro.

Some finals:

Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture072.jpg

So sore all day today in the real job. I was glad to get finished at 9pm on the Sunday night!

TOTAL TIME: 19 HOURS.

Cheers,

JOHN:thumb:

looks a really good job. just shows you a bit of time spent on the car can give you some extra cash when selling it!

Thank you Toxic. Don't think I'll have the same luck with my equally immaculate A4 when I visit a car showroom this afternoon somehow. I reckon I'll just get the book trade in price of 3300!

Didn't get any more than that I'm afraid. But the guy did say he couldn't get it down past the book trade-in because it was a 'cracking car'. Got a really good price on the newer on. 2.0TDI S-line in Akoya Silver - only 35k on clock, 2005 plate:

Picture.jpg

Pick it up this saturday!

More to follow.