Washing car after been covered in grit/salt on mway

Juniper44

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Am after some help, driving along the M4 this morning in the snowish/sleet and my beautiful S3 is now covered in dried salt scum.

It has been treated by the Werkstatt acrylic kit with the last layer put on about 4 weeks ago.

Is it safe to just wash as normal as am conscious about the salt scratching the paint etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

i have the same problem as i was driving on the m40 and m4 last night. persnoally when i go to wash ill jet wash first then foam and rinse and then wash.

Thanks for the info - can you tell me if the foam gun you have on your website connects to an ordinary garden hose?

Also is it worth using the foam every time I wash the car if its on a monthly basis?

Finally do you need a foam gun to generate the foam or can you add it via lambswool mitt?

Sorry one more thing if I leave the car with the salt on for a day or two until i buy the foam gun will it cause any damage?

give the car a prewash, ie a touchless wash with snowfoam before rubbing a mitt over your bodywork. This way you are freeing up any loose grit and letting it slide off the paint.

Mine is also full of salt etc, I have just recieved my foam gun and hyperwash from PB and as soon as the hose pipe has thawed out and I can use the pressure washer I will give it a try.

Mark

I got my wife to buy a load of products from you guys for Christmas.
Part of it was the HD lance and Megs Hyper wash.

When foaming the car, how much should I be putting into the bottle? And should I mix anything else into it as well? (shampoo etc?)

I've been using a little hyperwash, a bit of snow foam and also a little shampoo, but think I may be going overboard!!

Great peice of kit though and far better than the Karcher foam gun I was using.

Thanks for the info - can you tell me if the foam gun you have on your website connects to an ordinary garden hose?

Also is it worth using the foam every time I wash the car if its on a monthly basis?

Finally do you need a foam gun to generate the foam or can you add it via lambswool mitt?

Yes, the Gilmour connects to a normal garden hose, and yes, you should foam before every wash, applying the foam several times if you have left it a while since the last wash and lots of grime is bonded in place - the less you touch the paint the better, so using foam to remove as much dirt & grime as possible is the best way to help keep your paint in good condition. You do need a foam gun or a foam lance to generate thick foam, and finally salt will not do any harm if left on for short periods. :icon_thumright:

I got my wife to buy a load of products from you guys for Christmas.
Part of it was the HD lance and Megs Hyper wash.

When foaming the car, how much should I be putting into the bottle? And should I mix anything else into it as well? (shampoo etc?)

I've been using a little hyperwash, a bit of snow foam and also a little shampoo, but think I may be going overboard!!

Great peice of kit though and far better than the Karcher foam gun I was using.

Add approximately 1cm of Hyper Wash to the bottom of the lance bottle, and then fill the remaining space with warm water. Screw the injector head back on the bottle, shake well to mix, then back the top dial off from fully screwed down by about 4-5 turns until foam thickness is spot on. This method seems to hold no matter what pressure washer you are using, and there is no need to add anything else. :icon_thumright:

Add approximately 1cm of Hyper Wash to the bottom of the lance bottle, and then fill the remaining space with warm water. Screw the injector head back on the bottle, shake well to mix, then back the top dial off from fully screwed down by about 4-5 turns until foam thickness is spot on. This method seems to hold no matter what pressure washer you are using, and there is no need to add anything else. :icon_thumright:

Nice one. I'll give it try this weekend. (i've been using far too much stuff from what you've said!)

He ! He ! Explains why my drive and half the road resembled Lapland, filled the bottle to the top with hyperwash, never mind, cleaned the car though and it smelled lush, can still smell it in the garage.

Mark