I did this car back in September, but just realised I hadn't posted it on here yet...
My word, what a week... and it’s not over yet! Clark has been off sunning himself abroad somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic this week, so yours truly had to step into the very big boots he left behind and do some detailing for a change. No pressure then...
The car: brand new Audi TTS with delivery mileage on the clock, in for a full new car preparation detail and a coat of Vintage ready for the winter. Audi were asked not to prepare it in any way, but even so it was handed over with the wraps removed. The initial inspection revealed no major problems, other than some etching from fresh bird’s droppings, a few minor scratches and some wash marring. I assume this was from the factory, as the level of grime in all of the shuts suggested that the dealership had indeed done nothing to it.
Firstly, all of the shuts were washed with P21S Total Auto Wash and a Meguiars Slide Lock Detail Brush before being rinsed at pressure at 40oC. The engine was also given a once over in the same way, and blown dry with a leaf blower. The exterior was then foamed using Meguiars Hyper Wash at 40oC and left to dwell for five minutes or so before being rinsed off. The wheels were then cleaned using both Menzerna Gel 7.5 and Autosmart Tardis; the latter was required to remove adhesive traces from virtually all of the spokes, presumably from the transport wraps. The bodywork was then washed with Meguiars Shampoo Plus using the two bucket method and rinsed once more. The car was then moved inside for the claying stage. Work time so far – 3 hours.
Unsurprisingly, the bodywork and glass were quite heavily contaminated; initially it felt like overspray, but the colour change of the clay suggested that industrial fallout was the more likely culprit. Meguiars Detailing Clay Mild was used, with Meguiars Last Touch as the lubricant. With the paint now properly clean, it was time for the minor correction work. I started out using Menzerna 85RD on a 3M Ultrafina Pad, and this proved perfect for the wash marring, but in areas affected by etching and minor scratches, I had to step up to Menzerna 106FA on a 3M Polishing Pad. In a couple of cases I opted to correct small scratches by hand with Menzerna RD3.02, as there was simply no need to waste time changing pads on the machine. The lighting clusters were all corrected in the same way, using Menzerna 85RD. With the polishing done I went home to bed (another 11pm finish!). Work time so far – 15 hours.