Car was keyed, what to do.....

Mutinyno9

Reaction score
Well about 3 weeks ago my car got keyed over a parking spot. I think its the supidist reason to key someones car. Aparently not in that SOB's mind. well anyways, the guy keyed my hood but fortunetly its not deep, what would anybody rocommend for this? I took it to get a paint estimate and theya re wanting about $400 for it. I was just thinking of possibly having it buffed out or something on those lines, and ideas?

Sorry to hear about the car bit of a bitch, Has it been keyed down to the metal?.

no fortunately, that's why i was possibly thinking about buffing, or something like that...

Well thats a bonus in a strange sort of way. As my old man says i quote "Do onto others as they do onto you then [censored] off before the police get there". If you know who did it of course?.

Know how you feel mate.............I had a football kicked at my bonnet (was not there at the time). Thank god the marks T-Cut out and there were no dents as I would have hunted them down with dogs!

[ QUOTE ]
Black S3 said:
Sorry to hear about that.

Where I park during the day, school kids walk home and I'm always worried I'm going to find a key mark one day.

A question to Jester, with regard to smaller scratches and scuffs how much rubbing with ScratchX on the same spot should you do? As mush as it takes to get the scratch out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the Meguairs Applicator Pads to apply the Scratchx, on scratches small or large I give it a good going over, really polishing it in to the paintwork (like scrubbing a plate) so that a thin film of the stuff gets into the scratch then after that I give it a good buffing. Check to see the state of play then apply some of the Meguairs Gold Class Clear Coat Wax to tie it over and then buff off again. Works well, but admittedly they tend to come back after a couple of weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yes, like T-Cut and the rest. Hasn't been abrasive to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Black S3 said:
Does that mean scratchX just temparary fills in the scratch, and it's not abrasive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its mildly abrasive but not intended to remove scratches that you can get your nail into. It is only designed for swirls.

If the scratch does not fall into this category and has not broken through the lacquer you could possibly remove it with a diamond 'flatting' compound. This is the stuff the bodyshops use. You need to very careful (and not weak hearted) because it has the potential to break through the lacquer if you are over zealous.

Basically you sprinkle water onto the surface, and apply the paste using a damp cloth in backward and forward movements until the scratch disappears. You can actually hear the abrasive cutting into the lacquer and don't be too concerned when you remove the excess and you are left with a dull patch. This will polish up with Tcut etc.

I have some but have not used it on my Audi (as yet). I have however removed many a deep scratch from my solid black (dare I say it again) Vectra GSi and a metallic black Laguna before that.

I have had the stuff about 5 years and got it from a local Motor Factors who supply to the trade:
The stuff is:
Farecla G-Matt Flatting Paste
Manufactured by:
Farecla Products Ltd
Broadmeads, Ware,
Hertfordshire,
SG12 9HS