MERCEDES SLK55 AMG

jr001

Reaction score
Having experienced dry-out problems during the week on the S3, it was nice to get the chance to use the cracking Menzerna 3.02 again with smooth pad glide across every panel on this car. Worked well, this polish finishes down really glossy ready for final protection. This was a real joy to work on and I was very pleased at the outcome. Chris (Lightspeed) was on hand to help out in the preparation stages. Thank you Chris!

The UK forecast over the weekend was pretty patchy and I went for this one in the knowledge that the heavens could open and spoil things. Just as well it was only a 5 minute journey in my neighbourhood. The washing and claying took place on the nice Saturday evening. The paint correction took place on Sunday between 9:30am and 7:30pm. It turns out that the Sunday turned into a cracking day!

An absolutely stunning car this is. I’m growing to like silver and this was nice and clean, having just been returned by the local Mercedes dealership. 2 years old and only 6k on the clock.

The owner was not available to inspect the car after completion. He returned from a trip two days later and admitted to me that he was very sceptical about the outcome of this 'detailing' stuff. He had been happy with the local Mercedes dealership presentation of the car at the time of sale and did not see how it could be improved. After inspecting the car he told me that his perceprions had been completely transformed and that the paint beamed a 'lustre' (his words) that he had never seen on a car before. He is now very interested in learning to maintain this finish now. This proved to be very pleasing as it is always nice to have such an impact on someone's view of detailing. It does involve a lot of work to get a car like this, but it's all worth it in the end.

SLK07.jpg

SLK5502.jpg

SLK5504.jpg
SLK5505.jpg

SLK5506.jpg

SLK5507.jpg

SLK5508.jpg

SLK5509.jpg

SLK5510.jpg

All panels were cleansed of polish oils using Panel Wipe degreaser before applying the Zaino finishing sealant.

The finals, after 2 coats of Zaino Z2 and an application of Z8 Grand Finale Spray:

SLK5518.jpg

SLK5519.jpg

SLK5520.jpg

SLK5521.jpg

SLK5522.jpg

SLK5523.jpg

SLK5524.jpg

SLK5525.jpg

SLK5526.jpg

SLK5527.jpg

SLK5530.jpg

SLK5531.jpg

SLK5532.jpg

SLK5530B.jpg

SLK5533.jpg

SLK5534.jpg

SLK5535.jpg

SLK55SLK5534B.jpg

SLK5536.jpg

SLK5537.jpg

WHEELS: Werkstat Prime Strong (cleanse and seal)
TYRES AND TRIM: 303 Aerospace Protectant
TAILPIPES: Polished with Meguiars NXT Metal Polish

Cheers,

JOHN:icon_thumright:

John. The car is stunning. So is your write up. So is the detail. But you've got AMAZING photography skills, what camera are you using. I need a guide somewhere on D-SLRs I need to up my photo skills.

Excellent

is it me or can i see a face in the rear view mirror 3rd pic from the bottom ?

Thanks guys.

John. The car is stunning. So is your write up. So is the detail. But you've got AMAZING photography skills, what camera are you using. I need a guide somewhere on D-SLRs I need to up my photo skills.

After working on this silver car, I've grown to like silver. I'm on record as being adamant that I would never buy a silver car. But I have to say that as I was finishing this one off, I was as pleased with the outcome as I have on any other car.

I'm now considering A6 Avant in silver as my next car! What a turnaround!

As for the photography, I'm no expert (or amateur, for that matter). I do think about them first though and I like to think I've got a basic eye for lighting, angles etc. As a Physics teacher, I'd get some slagging if I didn't!!!! I use photoshop to crop some images and I use the lens blur facility for some backgrounds so that my cheap camera looks like it's an expensive one with depth of field functions etc! I use a Kodak Easyshare Z1275.

Rick, I was as surprised as you to see the face in the rear-view mirror. My wee fella was kicking around in the background but seeing his face in that picture still freaks me out a bit!!!! It's really strange how it turned out like that.

Thanks for the comments.

JOHN:icon_thumright:

I agree with all thats been said about both your photography and detailing skills.

Awesome :applaus: