PORSCHE BOXSTER (BLACK 2005)

jr001

Reaction score
Back in November, I carried out a 2-day detail on the Man of the House’s 2006 Cayman. This time, it was the turn of the 2005 Boxster belonging to the Lady of the House.

This started off badly as I had left my new camera in Glasgow after a night out. So, no pics of the car before the wash stage. My host had his camera handy which was a relief. I began using it after the wash and clay.

Some of you may remember Clark spitting blood and other things during his work on a couple of Porsches a couple of months back. Something called the ‘Sticky’ Porsche. Having sailed through the Cayman detail, I thought nothing of this phenomenon. Until now. I now see what he was talking about. In short, it was ****** awful in parts, trying to move and control the direction and pressure of the rotary. The pads gripped the paint so tightly at times resulting in quicker-than-usual heating of the panels. Another problem on this paint was its super-retention of polish residue oils and pre-sealant cleanser to the degree that a couple of panels ended up having to have their sealant stripped off to have another go at removing chemicals that did not buff clear. The solution was to ditch the pre-sealant cleanser and instead use panel-wipe degreaser to remove all polish residues.

It took a while to select the right pad/polish combos. 106FA was getting into the defects but was still leaving behind quite a few from the car’s 3 years of gathering swirls. 3.02 was leaving just too much marring. I finally opted for a mix of 3.02 and 106 FA as a go-between, knowing that the car was going to require a 106 refining session due to the marring from the 3.02 on the relatively soft paint.

box1.jpg

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

box5.jpg

box8.jpg

BOX9.jpg

box11.jpg

box12.jpg

BOX13.jpg

box16.jpg

box17.jpg

box18.jpg

box19.jpg

box20.jpg

box23.jpg

box24.jpg

box25.jpg

box26a.jpg

box26.jpg

I’m aware of the number of photos now, so here are some finished ones to show the end product after 2 coats of Z2 Pro (ZFX-enhanced) and one finishing coat of Z8.

box31.jpg

box31a.jpg

box32.jpg

box34.jpg

box35.jpg

box36.jpg

box37.jpg

box38.jpg

box39.jpg

box40.jpg

box41.jpg

Then the camera battery died to round off a fairly challenging 3 days.The chemical retention was horrific and I wanted to get this one as perfect as possible. The host had no problems with me spending the extra time on it to get it the way I wanted it. Had the paint not been of the sticky variety, this would have taken 2 days.

The wheels were given a couple of coats of some of the Z2 that was left.
Exterior trim and tyres were treated to 303 Aerospace Protectant as usual.

Thanks for reading.

JOHN

Fantastic job. Amazing finish.

Can I ask, how do you intend to wash the car in the future in order to avoid inflicting any swirls?

I'm trying to pick up some tips as over winter I've put swirls back into my black S3.

Cheers

AL

Thanks guys!

AL B, pre-wash is very important as I'm sure you know from Matt's demo.

As Rich says, it's generally quite good if you can pre-foam and pressure rinse more than once if required. I think his good lady is slightly more accepting of foam on the driveway than mine LOL so I normally only do this once. I may try to sneak in 2 foams in future when I can and just claim that the foam lance is super-good. Yeh, safe washing has more to it than meets the eye.

Might be a good idea to get yourself a Dual Action like the Megs G220 and some finishing polish as this should remove the very fine swirls that are back. That's all my swirls are, and I don't think they make the finish look bad at all.

Cheers.:icon_thumright: