Sky InsuranceVolks Autos

Thread: Bug splats

6th Gear

Status

Bug splats

Hey guys. Its come to that time of year again where the bugs come out to get killed... I do a lot of motorway mileage and I have bugs all over my front bumper/bonnet.

I gave my car a good cleaning yesterday and most of the bugs came off with the sponge, and some come off with the use of Tardis. Now I've still got a couple of spots left where they just dont seem to want to budge. Its looks like glue that has set and its seems pretty solid. What can I use to get this off?

Also, whilst I'm here, what would you gold folk recommend to use for tyre dressing?! Ta!

Coss
    Coss

S3 S-tronic: Panther Black, lots of extras, MTM remap

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Have you tried claying the affected areas? I would try claying and then putting a really durable wax like Collinite 476s on the front to protect. That's what I have on my A4 and the bugs come off with just a quick wipe with the mitt after foaming

As for tyre dressing...Poorboys Natural Look Dressing gets my vote everytime as it's not too shiney.

Chris

6th Gear

Status
    Haven't tried claying the areas yet. TBH didn't think that it'll come off but I'll give it a go. I use this 'Carplan Tripple Wax Car Shampoo' stuff. Probably not the best stuff on the market and I'm guessing that it doesn't do the job good enough!

Thanks for the info
    Coss

S3 S-tronic: Panther Black, lots of extras, MTM remap

thats me

Status
    try a wet towel layed over the bugs , wash the rest of the car then lift towel and try to wash them off.

Tbh mine always come off with a sponge but I do wax the front of the car more often.
    red to red black to black blue to bits

5th Gear

Status
    Poorboys bug squash for me works really well, or as mentioned above a cly bar would do well.
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

5th Gear

Status
    Only problem with claying or using Tardis is that you end up having to re-wax after every wash. So at the moment I am leaving any bug residue that doesn't come off and plan on using the tardis only once a month or so on them cos its not practical to be doing waxing every week.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Polished Bliss

Status
    As above, careful washing will remove a lot but you do often end up with odd spots that are welded on; tackling these once a month with Bug Squash or Tardis (or even clay) and then rewaxing or resealing is a good approach.