Badger5EM Tuning
    is a retronaut

Status

Picking up my new car on monday...advice please

I pick up my brand new Sprint Blue S3 on monday, after waiting for 5 months! I have been planning to get it detailed since the start and now I'm trying to make arrangements. I found a couple of local places on yell.com.

Firstly an independant bloke who said he'd come round and spend the whole day just on the exterior and wheels (as that's all I wanted) and he'd apply Supaguard paint protection, for 120. He said to me during the conversation that a lot of companies would try and rush the job and send 2 blokes to do the job in only an hour. Also he stated the finish would last for 3 years.

I tried another place who use autoglym. They told me that their finish was guaranteed for 10 years (as long as you follow their guidelines for washing) and that it only takes an hour to apply as they send 2 blokes around lol. But exterior only would cost 185. He also said there are no products on the market that protect alloy wheels, I thought that was strange.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm not sure what to go for. I wanted a product that would give some protection against stone chips but mr Autoglym said that none of them do that.

I'm in the Bedford area by the way, any local recommendations would be awesome.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

2. # ADS
    ADS

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    from what i have read on here..... i wouldnt touch either of the firms you have described........ if its applying Supaguard or autoglym....id do it myself as i know the job would be done properly and to MY liking.... search for polished bliss RS4 post, brand new car and the corrective treatment that was carried out.... spell binding
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    I tried another place who use autoglym. They told me that their finish was guaranteed for 10 years (as long as you follow their guidelines for washing) and that it only takes an hour to apply as they send 2 blokes around lol. But exterior only would cost 185. He also said there are no products on the market that protect alloy wheels.
    They sound amazing, a polish that lasts for 10 years, but have nothing that would work for wheels. What a pity they could have cornered the market.

OMG there are some muppets out there!

My advice would be to read the stickies on here and contact someone like polished bliss. They can either put you in touch with a firm that is reputable or sell you some good wash\polish kits and more importantly give you some guidance on how to use them. It should cost no more than you have been quoted to have it "professionaly done" and will give you a lot more satisfaction in the long run.

The www.detailingworld.co.uk forum is also an excellent source of info.
    Last edited by mwarrey; 19th April 2008 at 19:13.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    from what i have read on here..... i wouldnt touch either of the firms you have described........ if its applying Supaguard or autoglym....id do it myself as i know the job would be done properly and to MY liking.... search for polished bliss RS4 post, brand new car and the corrective treatment that was carried out.... spell binding
    Who would you recommend then? Product wise I mean.

The point is I want someone else to do it because I'm not the best when it comes to polishing and waxing.

Quote Originally Posted by mwarrey
    OMG there are some muppets out there!
    I don't follow...
    8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status
    I was being sarcastic, anyone who says they can polish a car with autoglym (or any other product) and it will last for ten years is not being truthful. Most products will last around 3-6 months at the most.

If you do some searches on here and other detailing forums the general consensus is that the "supaguard" "autoglym" and similar treatments are not bad treatments but are in no way worth their cost.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarrey View Post
    I was being sarcastic, anyone who says they can polish a car with autoglym (or any other product) and it will last for ten years is not being truthful. Most products will last around 3-6 months at the most.

If you do some searches on here and other detailing forums the general consensus is that the "supaguard" "autoglym" and similar treatments are not bad treatments but are in no way worth their cost.
    Well I had heard 6 months was the norm so I mentioned that to him and he said you get a certificate and as long as you follow their guidelines for washing they'll guarantee the finish!
    8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status
    Guaranteed as long as they stay in business..........

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarrey View Post
    Guaranteed as long as they stay in business..........
    The guarantee was from autoglym.
    8P2 S3

5th Gear

Status
    Personally IMO if im paying somebody the best part of 200 I want the car done indoors and not on my drive way....

5th Gear

Status
    Go on detailingworld then look in the regional section and find a pro in your area. Dont go with any of these supaguard guys.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Polished Bliss

Status
    As above. We use one of the best waxes in the world; over 60% pure white carnauba, 1852 a pot, and a single coat lasts six months tops, less on a daily driver that racks up the miles. No car care products offer protection for more than 6-9 months tops - guarantee or otherwise. If you want someone else do to the work for you, I'd give Nathan Willits a call. He's pretty close to you and does some great work with good products and no false promises...

http://www.cambridgeautogleam.com/

4th Gear

Status
    the 'guarantee' on these products isnt worth the paper its written on as if yo look at the small print it says its guaranteed when 'washed and polished regularly' which makes the super 150million lightyears of protection from 1 coat of acrylic sealant pretty meaningless.

Age 18: CRX MK2 | Age 20: Corrado VR6 | Age 21: Audi S3 (rip) | Age 23: Audi S3 | Age 25: BMW E46 M3

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WX51TXR View Post
    As above. We use one of the best waxes in the world; over 60% pure white carnauba, 1852 a pot, and a single coat lasts six months tops, less on a daily driver that racks up the miles. No car care products offer protection for more than 6-9 months tops - guarantee or otherwise. If you want someone else do to the work for you, I'd give Nathan Willits a call. He's pretty close to you and does some great work with good products and no false promises...

http://www.cambridgeautogleam.com/

How much dude? I know your price list is on the site but how much to me ?
    Last edited by Staz; 25th April 2008 at 18:20.
    8P2 S3

4th Gear

Status
    to you its a special deal of 280 for the zymol protection detail plus travel costs.

Age 18: CRX MK2 | Age 20: Corrado VR6 | Age 21: Audi S3 (rip) | Age 23: Audi S3 | Age 25: BMW E46 M3

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
    to you its a special deal of 280 for the zymol protection detail plus travel costs.
    Inside and out?
    8P2 S3

4th Gear

Status
    inside is vacuumed and leather treated.

Outside would be pre washed, shampoo'd, clayed if I felt it was needed on such a new car. Pre wax cleanse, finishing wax, dressings.

Usually takes 6+ hrs and needs to be carried out indoors (need room to work around the car)

If you do not have a garage your welcome to drop it at my garage in Ware, Herts.

Please contact via the website for more info though.