Dull White Paintwork

axelfols

Reaction score
Hi, I have white paint on my bodywork which appears "flat" and dull with no shine or very little at least. Some idiot (sorry about the swearing) used T cut and i cant get the stuff off and return the shine. This looks dreadful and thankfully its only affected one side. What can i do to restore the shine and make my pride and joy look beautiful again?? Thanks for any replies.

It's time to get it machined. Put some pounds away and get the whole car done. It's well worth it when you see the improvement. Previous attempts by owners to 'improve' the colour of their car are very often misguidedly horrific and ineffectual.

Best bet is to go for the machine job.:icon_thumright:

It's time to get it machined. Put some pounds away and get the whole car done. It's well worth it when you see the improvement. Previous attempts by owners to 'improve' the colour of their car are very often misguidedly horrific and ineffectual.

Isn't all white paintwork 'dull'? Discuss:rolleyes:

Looks great on 80's cars IMHO but not in the 21st century IMHO. Give me dark colour metallics any day.

Some examples of 21st century cars that really suit whit IMHO

Picture023.jpg

CemGT327.jpg

2006-TechArt-GTsport-Porsche-Cayman.jpg

7_2007_07_30_11_01_58_front3-1024x7.gif

Cant i do it myself? I was wondering what products to use.

:blackrs4:
Not so. White is in fact (so i'm told) the new silver. Saw an R8 in white. Looks the business and is a contrast to the black trim etc.

Glad we all have differnt tastes. White R8 looks crap... now the Muggello Blue one I had was great but Phantom with Lava Blades looks the dogs. White does not work for me mate sorry.

No need to apologise bud. Like you say, we've all got different tastes and thats a good thing. Anyway, back to my main point, how the feck do i bring my rubbish (white) paintwork up to it former shiny beauty? I wanna do this myself if poss, but all i've heard so far, is that i need to machine it. but what with and is it a mare to do???????

theres a few good guides from PolishedBliss on here somewhere I think... and one aprticular for white/silver/light colours.

I guessed you missed the stickies at the top of the section then?! Okay, the first thing to do is clean the paint properly (after a wash), using a clay bar. If this is new to you, see this guide on why and how...

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/guides_clean.html

Then as John says, you are going to need to polish your paint, to remove the knackered surface layer and expose a beautiful layer of fresh paint beneath. You can do this by hand or machine, but machine is best. See this illustrated guide for details about both methods and recommended products for Audi paint...

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=50080

Finally, once polished and looking perfect again, you will need to protect the finish with either a wax or a sealant. My thoughts on what to use for best results on light coloured paints are contained within this guide...

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=36481

Like any colour, white can be made to look anything but dull if you use good methods and products.

Have a read of the links, digest, mull over and come back to me by e-mail if you need any further advice about product selection.

:icon_thumright:

Ooooops! Just read the sticky and it all makes sense now (at last!!). Thanks for the advice. I've taken it on board and will get to work asap. Need to buy a machine pronto. Thanks for all your help!! Muchly appreciated.