Exhaust cleaner????

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
yup, tis me again gents...... i have mentioned this briefly in my Tar post but thought (after searching) that it could be a good thing to start another thread

cleaning exhausts, i dont think mine has ever been done, after attempting it with Autosol with a cloth, then leaving it for 30 mins and buff, and then trying a cheapy tooth brush to apply.....the coke is just not shifting... hold that, a small amount has come off which has cost me 15 minutes of my life and back ache..... has anyone any suggestions...... i read somewhere on here that brake cleaner would do the job but wanted to put the feelers out before i bought another bottle of something i'll never use again

cheers chaps:thumbsup:

Try using wire wool (extra fine - I think 00 grade) along with the Autosol then finish with the cloth and Autosol

CM

just had another crack at it, got hold of a selection pack of wire wool, had a go with the fine stuff and still nothing, ended up using the heavier stuff (as it only on the bottom of the exhaust) which still hasnt fetched it all off, most of it has come off luckily and no scratches are apparent which was my biggest fear. Still niggling me that i cant get it spotless..... was going to do about an inch inside but with the trouble ive had with the tips.... wondering if its possible

Tim

Depends on your exhaust but some guys resort to a drill attachment (Like a wire brush or sandpaper type) to get the crud off !

I struggled with my exhausts but as its a diesel the pipes are hidden so didn't push too hard! On the other hand my good lady has a Honda Civic and they came up a treat - better than new!!

annoying thing is, i have a detail drill with a nice bit for this particular task.... you wana know why i couldnt use it??? my extension leads wouldnt stretch far enough!!! grrrr, its the small things in life:)

We frequently have to break out the Dremel and various polishing attachments to bring tips back to life. Wet and dry paper and coarse metal polishes also work well too, see the latest Boxster threads posted by Clark for some amazing before and afters! :icon_thumright: