A newbie to detailing...

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
Alright fellas...

I'm basically looking to get into detailing my car properly and treating it as i should!
There are some superb guides, tips and bits of advice on here which i'm sure i speak for all newbies, are really appreciated. Some of the pro details on here are just unbelievable and the end results are better than anything i've seen. Really inspires me to make that effort.

So anyway...So far i understand i need a quality shampoo, lambswool mitt (for washing), microfibre cloth (for wheels etc), waffle weave cloth for drying down, a quality polish and an acrylic sealant (my car is Avus silver - pearlescent colour).
There seem to be a million different products and everyone will have their own opinions on what works best. So my question is what products do you guys recommend i start off with to give the best results? Obviously i don't want to spend a fortune to begin with (i want to concentrate on getting excellent results with the basics first) but some advice on the quality products i need to get started (shampoo, polish & sealant etc) would be great.

Thanks very much in advance guys. Appreciated!

Paul.

how long is a bit of string???? ask different people and you will get different answer. i think you have to give it a go and decide for your self.

also, depends on what you are trying to get from it and also paint colour.

have a look on detailing world.co.uk lots of good info there.

I detail my old man's Avus A3, and find that Meg's NXT wash, and tech wax bring it up a treat!
Depending on the age and conditiuon of the car i'd also clay bar it too. Get a kit from Halfrauds and all in you could get a detailing set for around £40.
If possible, avoid leathering your car to dry, and use a decent spone, ideally with 2 buckets, so rinse in one, clean solution in another. Helps avoid scratches and swirls.
I use a leaf blower to dry mine!

My car is only an 07 and the paint is pretty much good as new so not much actual work to do on the car, a clay bar might not be necessary yet. As i say i'd like to get the basics nailed first before i move on to clay and various preparations.
You say you use a wax on your dads A3 but from what i read you're best to use an acrylic sealant and avoid wax on a silver car?

My car is only an 07 and the paint is pretty much good as new so not much actual work to do on the car, a clay bar might not be necessary yet. As i say i'd like to get the basics nailed first before i move on to clay and various preparations.
You say you use a wax on your dads A3 but from what i read you're best to use an acrylic sealant and avoid wax on a silver car?

clay - about once every 6 months - you will be amazed what comes off your paint that you cant normally see.

pre wax cleaner - something like Dodo, LIme Pime, to clean the paint and get it ready for protection.

on silver i would say you are better with a wax to give it some warmth

clay - about once every 6 months - you will be amazed what comes off your paint that you cant normally see.

pre wax cleaner - something like Dodo, LIme Pime, to clean the paint and get it ready for protection.

on silver i would say you are better with a wax to give it some warmth

I know what you're saying, results i've seen of acrylic sealants can be almost like glass and reflect everything, very impressive though bit i'd imagine quite harsh looking on a bright silver finish.

My car is only an 07 and the paint is pretty much good as new so not much actual work to do on the car!!

thats what i thought until i discovered the wonderful world of detailingworld

I would go with our JEFFS Werkstat Acrylic Kit, as it looks fantastic on light silver metallic and pearlescent finishes, and offers terrific durability. The kit also comes with all the necessary applicator pads and buffing towels. Here is the recommended routine for using it...

Wash (ideally every week)

Basic Car Wash Kit £34.85 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/basic-car-wash-kit-wash.html

Clay (once every six months, to remove bonded surface contaminants)

Meguiars Quik Clay Kit £11.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/meguiars-quik-clay-clean.html

Polish/Protect (polish every six months after claying, then protect every 4-6 weeks for best results)

JEFFS Werkstat Acrylic Kit £46.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/jeffs-werkstatt-acrylic-kit-protect.html

The Prime Acrylic basecoat is a light finishing polish that lays down a tough initial coat of acrylic protection whilst deep cleansing the paint; you should use it once every six months after claying. Acrylic Jett Trigger is a pure spray sealant that should be used to add more gloss and protection every 4-6 weeks; the more layers you build up, the better the finish will get in terms of wetness and durability. The Acrylic Glos is a quick detailing spray, and can be used to help boost gloss, lubricate when drying off after washing and loosen the residues of Prime and Trigger if you find them hard to remove. Here are full instructions for the first major detail with the products...

After washing and claying, start out by applying a basecoat of Prime Acrylic using the white side of the Ultimate German Applicator Pad, and buff off this residue using the blue Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel, using a spritz of Acrylic Glos to help loosen the residue if needs be. Then apply a coat of Acrylic Jett Trigger by spraying onto one of the coral Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towels, wiping over the panel and then buffing off with the other Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towel, again using a spritz of Acrylic Glos to help loosen the residue if needs be. Then add a fresh coat of Acrylic Jett Trigger every 4-6 weeks until the time comes to clay the car again. Apply all products to paint, glass and alloy wheels.

I used this set of products on my old silver Leon extensively over the last two years and nothing else ever made it look as good; not even our rather fancy Zymol Vintage wax! Here are some piccies to check out...

dscf3956.jpg

dscf3959.jpg

dscf3961.jpg

dscf3701.jpg

:icon_thumright:

I haven't checked back for replies on this thread for a while.... Thanks for the input guys.

Rich, i will be looking to place an order for quite a bit of stuff in the next couple of weeks.
It's surprising how much surface swirling there is visible in the paint under street lights at night, and mine was an audi owned car for 6 months before i bought it so christ knows what muppet had been washing it.
Anyway the weather should start picking up soon so i'll be spending many hours getting it back up to scratch!

Paul.