Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    Grumpy Old Man

Status

How to clean and protect these wheels

I've just bought a set of A8 replica wheeels. They look to have polished rather than a painted finish. What should I be using to clean and protect them? Here are some pictures.

A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    For best results, take each wheel off in turn. Process takes about 45 mins for each wheel, depending on initial condition.

Then:
    • normal shampoo wash and dry
    • use a good cleanser first, like JEFFS Werkstatt Prime strong Acrylic. This deep cleanses as well as leaving a fine coating of sealant.
    http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...ng-polish.html
    • I normally follow up with 3 or 4 coats of JEFFS dedicated acrylic sealant on top. Alternatively, 3 or 4 coats of Poorboys wheels guard wax instead.
    http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...nt-wheels.html

Buff residues over with MF cloths for great finish.

A couple of times a year should be enough to protect the wheels well. Normal shampoo washes thereon in once you've done this.

Hope this helps.

JOHN

4th Gear

Status
    yer i do something similar everytime i get new wheels, but i do it before i put them on the car, just makes it easier that taking them off etc

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Is there anything in the Meguiars range that would do the trick?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes, the Megs stage 1 deep crystal cleanser would prime the wheel by decontaminating it. The other 2 stages would then shine and protect.

It won't necessarily give the same durability as the Jeffs and Poorboys wheel sealant route though. The Jeffs Prime is also multi-purpose - on paint, smooth metals, wiper arms, non-porous interior and exterior plastics, interior and exterior windows creating a really good beading of water as well as deep cleansing. Remember it's a quality acrylic sealant as well as deep cleanser and all in the one bottle. It's a really good all-rounder, that's why it's always my first choice for many purposes. It represents excellent value for money IMO.

Other people have their choice, but the Jeffs is one of my favorite products because of the facts mentioned above. No other product I have tried has so many uses.

Cheers,

5th Gear

Status
    I used the poorboys and jeffs stuff but mine still did this:

More down to the wheels than anything though.
    Justin

2001 VW Golf 2.3 V5 (170) Highline, Indigo Blue - standard, for now...

A4 (B5) SE with a few slight amendments here and there (sold)

4th Gear

Status
    i was really wanting a set of these polished wheels aswell but im having second thoughts,they seem to corrode pretty easy with the salt

5th Gear

Status
    Don't be put off by that pic Chris - they were 'well priced' replicas. It's case of the old saying - you get what you pay for.
    Justin

2nd Gear

Status
    Does not look good Justin. Sorry to see that. Defo looks like a grim job. I'm sure the affected wheel/s can be returned?

5th Gear

Status
    I only got thrm in August '07 too...

I contacted the company I got them off who said they'd arrange a courier to collect them, at their cost, so that they could assess them & check if the warranty covered them. They then said that if the wheels weren't properly packaged and were damaged in transit that the warranty would be void.

If it turned out they weren't covered under warranty, I would have been liable for any courier costs and/or repair costs.

There were too many get out clauses IMO, but that's just me being cynical. Don't get me wrong - the company were very good about it, they got back to me within 24 hours. I'm just wary of the returns policy. They'd have replaced them had they been covered but I decided not to follow the claim up as there was no guarantee that the new ones wouldn't do the same in 6 months time.

The wheels were only £240 anyway - I got the tyres seperately. I'm now trying to weigh up if it's worth getting them re-lacquered or cut my losses and get another set from elsewhere, poss flog these as a cheap set on fleabay (minus tyres tho).
    Justin

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I've just ordered a pot of the Poorboys sealant from Polished Bliss. Hope it arrives by the weekend

4th Gear

Status
    Give them a few coats jeff aswell mate

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Will do, Chris

Polished Bliss

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962
    I've just ordered a pot of the Poorboys sealant from Polished Bliss. Hope it arrives by the weekend
    Should do, if Royal Mail do us proud.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WX51TXR
    Should do, if Royal Mail do us proud.
    Yup! Gotta a text about an hour ago from She Who Must Be Obeyed, saying it had arrived.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Have applied three coats of the Poorboys sealant . The wheels look and feel fantastic. With a bit of luck, and some careful parking, they should now stay that way.

4th Gear

Status
    good lad! just gotta keep them badboys clean now and top up with the sealent every few weeks