Alloy wheel cleaner - Whats best??

Keef

Reaction score
Whats best for cleaning Alloys? Appart from hard work!
Dont like using the acid based stuff!

Got any suggestions?

Cheers
Keef

When I was a member on the uk-mk4 forum they did a group buy on some stuff called MC2. I bought a 5lt bottle of this stuff and I am still using it years latter.

Diluted 1 to 25 with water it is simply supurb. It is apparently non acid based and uses orange and lemons toe do the cleaning? Anyway, you can spray in it and leave it on all day if you like without doing any harm. The only thing it does is lift the brake dust. I have used on a range of alloys over the last couple of year and never had anything other than perfect results. I did read one report of someone who said that after a extended period of using the stuff his alloys when slightly off yellow but a one off application of a stronger acid based cleaner (wonder wheels) once a year removed this discoloration.

I'd recommend this stuff to anyone. It's also great for cleaning the engine bay too. Just spray on, leave for 15 mins and hose off.

As to where you can get it? I don't know now but if you pop over to the uk-mk4.net forum, and ask a question, I'm sure someone will know a supplier.

Have a read here from a post on the uk-mk4 forum on how good this stuff is.

Thanks for the info guys!

Marms - it would seem that the MC2 stuff (now called Viro-Sol) is good stuff, as after searching on google it appears on loads of other car forums with all good reviews!

You can get it from:-

http://www.mustang-cleaningsupplies.co.uk/product.asp?intProdID=523&intProdInfoD=VIRO%2DSOL+CITRUS+CLEANER%2FDEGREASER+5LTR

It’s not actually a car cleaner - it would seem that it’s for everything!
But i have ordered some and well give it a go.

Also some people are saying that bike cleaner 'Muc-off' is good for use on the car?
i have some of this in the garage and well be trying this tomorrow – will let you know.

Cheers
Keef

Went to Halfords yesterday and picked up a cheap alloy wheel cleaner. After reading through some of the threads on this forum, I wasn't expecting great results... However, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome....

BEFORE:

before.JPG

AFTER:

aftfer.JPG

It's a shame this stuff can't remove scratches and rust as well!

Halfords Advanced Alloy Wheel Cleaning Kit £11.99.

apparenly the hot wheels is acidic...i have some and have not had great results from it TBH

In order:

1. Megs APC 10:1 - Have to say it does a very good job
2. Wynns Wheel Cleaner - Did what it said on the bottle
3. Wonder Wheels - vicious stuff and did well but always left a white residue

I've got the Megs Hot Wheels stuff but yet to try it, I'll have a go at the bacnk holiday

I use wonder wheels once or twice a year, for really caked on crap (winter).
I've recently been using Turtle wax spray, which worked well.
It ran out, so I'm currently trying Autoglym.
They've all worked well, making me wonder if there is such a thing as a bad one!

I used the Porsche tequipment cleaner which is non acid based (and I think a badged quality cleaner). This stuff is excellent and looks like strong fairy liquid. It is a well known product on the detailing world website but cant remember its original name.
Its about £8 for a litre so not too expensive.

I also use Meguiars hot rims, once my alloys are clean I give them a good coat of Meguiars Gold Class polish / wax, helps to stop the brake dust bonding and makes them look shiny !

I found my S-line wheels such a doddle to keep clean that I didn't really pay much attention.
They got the odd polish with Meguire's, but that was that.
My D3 wheels are a nightmare though (they look like the fan blades of a jet engine).
So I've recently started using poorboys wheel sealant, which comes highjly recommended.
Wash the wheels, dry the wheels, polish the wheels, coat them in poorboys.
Hopefully, three of four uses of this procedure will lead to them being dead easy to clean in the future.