Advice needed! New Car/Winter

rob1210

Reaction score
Hi, I'm waiting for my brand new Phantom Black A3 to arrive any time now. Should I apply some kind of paint protection immediatly or wait until spring time. Also any product recommedations welcome!

definately get some wax on now to protect it from the winter weather. id suggest collinite476 as it last for months and thats vital cause you never know when ur gonna get another chance to apply another layer!!

Treat it right, right from the start - winter is the harshest season on your car, due to the road salt and constant dampness. On Phantom Black, for great looks and great protection against the elements, I'd seriously look at our Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic range; it's an acrylic polymer-based system that is easy to use and delivers great results. See this thread for more details on our Werkstatt for Winter offer and advice...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45454

:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the advice, I just ordered the Kit from your web site :icon_thumright:

You may be able to help with something else. My wife has a one year old Focus in Metallic Grey, the previous owner must have liked car washes because there are lots of swirls in the paint work and quite a few stone chips in the bonnet . What would you recommend for restoring the paint work?

Ideally a full machine polish, which you could do yourself if you invested in a decent dual action polishing machine, but they don't come cheap. You could firstly try by hand using Menzerna Intensive Polish (applied using the white side of a German pad), and only consider the machine option as a last resort. The good news is that Ford paint is typically a bit softer than Audi paint, so can be corrected to a fair standard by hand. Just make sure you allow a full day for the work and eat plenty of cake! :yes:

PS - I forgot to mention the stonechips - if they are really small and there are lots of them, the only way to really improve the situation to a high standard will be to get the panel resprayed. However, if there are only a few, then a simple touching in routine with an artists brush and touch up paint followed by polishing should be enough to significantly improve things without going down the whole wetsanding route, for which you'd need a machine.

What started out a nice sunny dry day turned into a miserable foggy one. Still got the Werkstatt out and after 3 hours of washing and treating the paint and wheels here are the results: Just don't want to drive it now as I know it'll be filthy in 10 minutes. Also used Poor Boys wheel sealant which gives the wheels a nice shine and will hopefully protect them through the winter.

It's only 5 days old but now looks much better then when it was delivered.