Best way to apply touch up paint

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Morning,

I have a Ming Blue 02 S3 in need of touch up paint on the front bumper just under the headlight.

The patch is about 6 x 3cm large due to the paint chipping off after a small prang in the back of someone, the paint has come off and there is the grey lacquer left and no rust. Around the area the paint has cracked and 'spidered' out with faint hairline cracks.

I have got a pot from Audi for Ming Blue and looking to attempt this at the weekend; but wanted to know the best way to apply it?

Do you just paint it on, let it dry, give it a light sand and then polish it out? Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

PS. Did someone from Polished Bliss write into Evo?

sounds like you have got the right method there. have a look on www.detailingworld.co.uk

lots of very good info regarding this.

i would say that the size you mention ie 6x3 might be a little big to do a decent job.

would imagine you would have to do the polishing by machine.

TBH, you are not going to get a good finish by using touchup, even the genuine ones aren't a good match and metallic colours are even worse. You might get away with it on small stonechips, but a 6X3 cm area is too big.

The only proper solution is to have the bumper resprayed I'm afraid.

Agreed - that's way too big an area to get a good finish on working with touch up paint. Large stone chips are the maximum size defect that can be tackled effectively in this way. A respray will be needed if you want to make a decent job of the repair. :yes:

That's what I thought you guru's would say :crying: .

Getting a respray past the missus is tough hence the 7 quid touchup paint..

Cheers