NOTICE: Line drawn at 8 months!

WX51TXR

Polished Bliss
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
Enough is enough! We are now fully booked into June next year, and whilst from our point of view this is obviously no bad thing, we've made a decision to close the diary and suspend taking any new bookings. The reason for this is that it is becoming increasingly hard to reserve suitable slots for contract customers, and we are also acutely aware that numerous customers who we have worked for this year and who don't follow the forums will be in touch in the spring to arrange top ups and summer preparation details - if we book up details now for the whole of the summer then these people will be let down, and we don't want to do that! Thus, for now, the diary is closed, and no new bookings will be taken until the start of March. :)

Rather than turn away bookings couldn't you employ more staff? Thats the usual route for a successful expanding business?

congratulations on having a full diary but if it were my Company I would not be looking at closing the door just because I was busy.

Just a thought

We've got no more room at the current time! With just one detailing bay we can only do so much, and working outside is not an option. We have lots of plans for future expansion, but cashflow is tight right now, so it may be a while. We really need about 5000 ft2 to take things to the next level, but land and build costs for that size are formidable, particularly if the location is good. It may take a year or two to get there! :)

Franchise,

want to open one in leicester, and you can teach me :)

A small word of advice. Don't wait two years.

Not that many small businesses reach the level where you are now. Even fewer capitalize on it. You have a choice that needs to be made, either increase prices to reduce demand and make money that way or expand to provide the services. Iof you don't then someone else will start up and take that business from you.

It all comes down to personal choice, are you happy with your small business or do you have ambition to grow? I was in a similar position 10 years ago and failed to grasp the opportunity. With the benefit of hindsight I would have done a lot more to find venture capital to expand even if it meant selling a stake in my business.

Obviously I'm not in your shoes, just wanted to pass on some advice from experience.

Do EU offer Objective 2 funding where you are Rich? If its same situation as Wales, you could get business expansion partly funded (based on a robust business case which, by the sounds of things, you have i.e. customers banging down the door!)

Another bit of advice.

I setup a business 10 years ago that was very quick to expand and after 2 years we really went the whole "big or bust" way and year 3 was not achieved. I lost my house and nearly my marriage.

I am now running my own business once again doing the same work but this time I am in year 3 and it's going really well. I've not expanded beyond my own limits of how much work I want to do or how much I want to risk spending my own cash on expanding the business and then face the risk of losing it all over again.

Franchise sounds a great way forward, you get important capital and your brand grows with little or no risk to your own finances.

John

But if you do decide to franchise, quality control should be a high priority. Otherwise you risk the strong brand you seem to have built up.

Exactly! Franchising would be good if I was in it soley for the money, but I'm not - I've worked too hard to see our reputation go down the pan due to a drop in quality/standards, and I'm not wanting to start travelling around the country checking up on local branches either - not my ideal job! Many thanks for all the advice above, it's got Angela and I talking about our plans for the next 12 months, and I think we will bring things forward a bit, whilst staying firmly in charge of the cashflow. :icon_thumright:

Spacecowboy said:
Do EU offer Objective 2 funding where you are Rich? If its same situation as Wales, you could get business expansion partly funded (based on a robust business case which, by the sounds of things, you have i.e. customers banging down the door!)

I'm off to check - cheers! :icon_thumright:

dam that is alot of work, hope you dont mind me asking but is clark detailing 5 days a week? ..... or dose he have some other comitments? if its flat out 5days a week for 8months that is a lot of work and alot of doe too;)

i wish my diary was that booked:)

Aye, 5 days (or around 40-45 hours) a week, all booked up through to June, with just one week left spare for holidays (in addition to the Xmas week off). Busy isn't the word... :yes:

WX51TXR said:
Aye, 5 days (or around 40-45 hours) a week, all booked up through to June, with just one week left spare for holidays (in addition to the Xmas week off). Busy isn't the word... :yes:

woooooooow that is good well done:yes: i would be very chuffed with my self if i had that kind of bookings