cheap wax

kev_a3

Reaction score
ok, im new to the world of detailing. a quick wash, shammy and wax is all im accoustomed to(excuse the spelling)

anyway ive been using the cheap halfords wax for grey/silver cars on my lava grey a3 for a while now and im amazed every time at the results...so today i toddle off to halfords to buy some of the amazing Zymol i keep reading about..so 10 minutes later im walking out of halfords with some Zymol cleaner wax and a knowing grin

And the results are... yes you guessed it...the missus has just drove off in a shiny new looking car that i know will be turning heads. Great...but...with the Halfords wax not the Zymol wax....why cos its crap(my opinion and obviosly not the exact zymol wax i keep reading about)

:confused: has anyone here used this wax before and what do you think of it?? (zymol cleaner wax & halfords colour polish)
:confused: what products do you recommend??

any advise is appreciated....

The Cleaner Wax is the about the lowliest product Zymol produce... and yes, it isn't great IMHO, particularly on lighter coloured cars. To get good results on lighter colours with wax requires a spend of at least £164 on Concours or above in my book... which means most people will prefer a lower cost sealant based system. If you check out this thread, which is all about achieving the perfect finish on silver and other light colours, you'll see what I mean...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=36481

Without any shadow of doubt, at a sensible price point, you will not beat the Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic System on silver. It's what I prefer on my own car, a silver Seat Leon. :icon_thumright:

thanks for reply....but as Lava grey is very dark grey pearl(almost black)would this still be the best system for me??

thanks in advance

Sorry, my bad, I forgot it was that dark! The answer is it depends on the finish you want - see this thread showing three recommended systems for darker metallic/pearlescent finishes. The Jeffs is one of the options and is great for maximum enhacement of the flake but it doesn't give as much wetness and gloss as the other options....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=41386

Take your pick based on the look you like most!

:)

cheers rich,

well i brought some meguiars clay system today,it came with some cleaner wax-which i thought was gonna be crap but to be honest.....after a full clean, then using the clay system,and finally using the cleaner wax i must say i am totally shellshocked....it is so amazing

the clay system which i had never used before really,really impressed me the most, my paintwork is so smooth, the cleaner wax seemed to rid all the swirl marks and the finish really is top class..looks like its dripping wet

anyway, im now thinking of, as you said earlier, to get some premium zymol wax, but how much difference is there between the finish on the

carbon
glasur
concourse

or do you have any links for me to see the differences for myself....ideally on darker cars

likewise does anyone else have opinions on these products

cheers in advance:icon_thumright:

I don't have any pics other than Carbon finishes; we don't use Glasur at all, although many report it is very good, and we don't tend to use Concours much, as most customers going high end ask for Vintage instead. However, the difference between Carbon and Concours will be noticeable in terms of wetness and vibrancy (in digital photos, Concours looks much like Vintage, so the following shots below may help) - the vibrancy element is the thing that digital camera's don't pick up on well; the higher up the wax food chain you go, the more energy the paint seems to have.

Carbon

cg60i.jpg

cg60q.jpg

cg60h.jpg

Vintage (proxy for Concours in digital images)

Cc4d.jpg

Cc4h.jpg

Cc4n.jpg

:)