Claying

ROBS3

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to use clay for the first time, but have a quick question...

I'm going to wash the car first, then dry, then clay.
Is there any need to wash again after claying?

Thanks

Ps. I'm going go use SRP after the clay

Nope, just rinse her off and get polishing!

As a bit of a hint, dont dry it after the first wash, you need to keep the surface damp to aid claying.

You gonna be using the Megs clay kit with the Quik detailer?

Cheers for the tip.

I just bought the Megs smooth surface kit. Looking forward to using it.

So: wash, rinse, clay, rinse, dry, polish?

The order is fine, but before you clay I'd make sure the surface is COMPLETELY DRY from the wash stage. The idea is to clay on top of a clean and dry (preferrably pat-dried) surface otherwise you will drag any dirt along the panels and introduce some scratching. Rinsing should be fine after the clay, but if you've got the time go for a proper high-lube suds wash as I think this gets rid of the claying remnants more effectively.

I've both rinsed and proper-washed after claying and I think the wash gives it the shiny edge IMO.

Hope this helps!:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm completely new to all this, but i've definitely got the bug now, hence all the posts the past week!
Going from Turtle Wax wash&wax, a sponge and a chammy to spending a little fortune (tiny compared to many) on all sorts of stuff I didn't realise existed!

I said I would wash my sister's black golf, so I could try out all my new products. This is how my procedure will now go, please advise if wrong.

APC arches, door sills etc
pressure wash,
foam,
wheels (whilst foam works)
rinse,
wash (2 bucket method)
rinse,
dry,
clay,
wash,
dry,
Super Resin Polish,
Extra Gloss Protection,
P21s wax

Can I just apply the wax straight after removing the EGP?

Thanks

Don't forget to give your wheels some love too!!!

I just clayed mine this weekend and gave them 3 coats of Jetseal....

Got a couple of products that'll hopefully bring the wheels up a treat :icon_thumright:.

Bet the result was good OutLore - getting it ready for winter?!

ROBS3 said:
Got a couple of products that'll hopefully bring the wheels up a treat :icon_thumright:.

Bet the result was good OutLore - getting it ready for winter?!

Yeah, spent all saturday doing it, gave some of the panels a quick clay (bumper, bonnet and wings) and then a coat of Jetseal and some DoDo Rainforest... Wanted to do more but time ran out... still a good day all in all though :)

ROBS3 said:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm completely new to all this, but i've definitely got the bug now, hence all the posts the past week!
Going from Turtle Wax wash&wax, a sponge and a chammy to spending a little fortune (tiny compared to many) on all sorts of stuff I didn't realise existed!

I said I would wash my sister's black golf, so I could try out all my new products. This is how my procedure will now go, please advise if wrong.

APC arches, door sills etc
pressure wash,
foam,
wheels (whilst foam works)
rinse,
wash (2 bucket method)
rinse,
dry,
clay,
wash,
dry,
Super Resin Polish,
Extra Gloss Protection,
P21s wax

Can I just apply the wax straight after removing the EGP?

Thanks

Pretty much spot on, although I would foam first onto the dry car, as the foam will dwell for longer when sprayed onto a dry surface as opposed to a wet surface. First thing I do is spray the shuts and arches, then foam, then do the wheels, then rinse the lot and carry on with the 2 bucket hand wash. Also, I don't bother drying off before claying; after the final rinse (usually after using tar & glue remover, the paint should be spotlessly clean anyway, so it's fine to go straight to clay; this can save a good quarter of an hour in cases when the weather is cold and drying takes forever and an age. :)

Sorted :o.k:
Thanks for the help, much appreciated as always...

Just 'clayed' at the weekend and topped it off with some Meguairs Gold Polish, feels lovely!

Question is; what is the best method for 'claying'?

Is it work on a small area at a time and apply in a 'circular' motion to remove?

or

Is it do an entire panel and clay up and down the panel is a 'wiping' motion?

or

Is it do an entire panel and clay up and down the panel is a 'circular' motion?

How much pressure do you need to apply? Is it a 'light' motion or do you have to work it right in?

Only reason is that after claying and hand polishing I can see quite a few swirls and the like which I think is caused by my agressive claying.

Cheers