Removing wax, sealant etc

ROBS3

Reaction score
I need to remove the sealant and wax I currently have from my bumper so that it can go to the bodyshop to be re-sprayed (****** stonechips!). Can anyone recommend an easily available product to do this? Would Auto Glym SRP do it? Or would SRP put another layer of protection on it?

Thanks

Ps I don't have access to any machinery, so would be applied by hand.

I would take it down to the local garage and use their jetwash (just the pressure washer lance not the rollers!). That will remove most things!. Then just let the bodyshop know you have recently waxed the car so they need to make sure it is removed if they have to blend in to any adjoining panels.

If you are just having the bumper painted, most bodyshops will paint the entire bumper, so will be flattening it all back with wet n dry, can't think of any waxes\sealent that will stand up to that!

Any competent bodyshop will be well aware of the need to remove waxes etc and will use a product called 'Panel wipe' (at least I think thats what it's called).

So, I wouldn't bother doing anything and let them do the work.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure he will prepare it properly, it's just that he prefers it if the car doesn't have any products on it. (I wanted to give it to him in the best possible state.)
I had it sealed and waxed a while ago, and think it will take some doing to take it off.
Do you think using washing up liquid and a pressure washer would do the trick?

Personally I'd be a bit worried about a bodyshop asking for (me) to do such things.
The prep work to make a panel ready for spraying will always remove any sealant/wax so why a bodyshop would ask you to do this is a bit funny.
Anyone who owns a car usually (or at least should) polish / wax their car on a failry regular basis. I have had many jobs done by a variety of bodyshops and I have never been asked to do anything before taking the car in.

Just seems a bit odd thats all.

I think he is just concerned that the products on there may include silicone, which could get into the bake room (not sure if that's what is called?!?!) which could affect the finish.

He hasn't asked to remove anything, more, restrain from using waxes etc. If that makes sense?

yes , correct silicone can affect paint , but as stated if the body shop was any good it would be correctly prepped before it got anywhere near the paint shop .
panel wipe is the correct degreasing/cleaning used to final prep the panel , but would advise to leave alone , you could easily make things worse.
if anything just give it a good wash off
hope that helps

To remove most wax and sealant residues a strong all purpose cleaner or degreasing wash will do the trick; P21S Total Auto Wash, Meguiars Safe D-Greaser and Meguiars Super Degreaser are all sound choices. Washing up liquid isn't always up to the task, and isn't recomended. It is odd that he has asked this though; as stated above, even highly waxed cars (like some of those looked after under contract by us) pose no problems for bodyshops if the proper preparation solvents are used. :)

Thanks for the replies guys - think i'll just leave it and let him know about the wax on there.