Brake fluid change..

gkf9

Reaction score
My car is not due its next service for another 8000 miles yet, but was due
a BFC last month, is it paramount to get the BFC change done now or could
it wait till i have the next service?....sorry its a bit of stupid question but like
to keep everything in order.

the reason you change the fluid on a regular basis is because it absorbs moister from the atmosphere. now i'm not one to skimp on safety features so the official line is get it changed however......

if the pedal feels firm and you haven't experienced vapour lock then i'd say it's fine and will wait to the next service. the life of fluids these days will have a margin for error built in and will depend on the use. if you do a lot of track days where the brakes are pushed to the limit then it'd need changing more often than fluid that had a nice easy life commuting to work everyday.

have a look in the master cylinder and see how fresh the fluid looks, it should be a clear golden colour, if it looks dirty then it probably wants changing. at the end of the day only you know how hard you've used your brakes so you need to make an executive decision.

I'm with shineydave on this one.

The brake fluid doesn't suddenly fail or stop working just because it is 2 years old so I'd say, as long as it's not going to be another year, get it done when you have the next service. It's a bit like use by dates. Just because your bread says use by Wednesday doesn't mean it will instantly go mouldy on Tuesday night.

ok thanks for the sound advice shineydave and marms..will get it changed
next service in about 5months time..brakes seem ok upto now. Again thanks

Even without the visual inspection noted above, I'm sure the service schedule advises that brake fluid is changed every 2 years as a matter of course.