Bird poo stains on my S3

S3Daz

Reaction score
So yesterday when returning to my car after work I found some bird poo down the side of my car, so straight away I pulled out some Quik Detailer and cleaned it off, but the area where the poo was seem to have a matt finish to it:scared2:

So as soon as I got home I washed the area and then had to use Scratch X to have any effect on it, after some hard hand polishing the gloss finish was return but if you look closely you could see some etching.

I've seen people on here complaining about this on Audi paint but didn't know how bad it really looked, kind of puts me off buying another Audi, my black corrolla I had before you could leave bird poo on for several days and it didn't effect the paint.

The bit I really don't understand is that last night I had a lovely gloss finish to the area that you had to look hard at to see the etching but when I check my car again today after work the area had gone matt again:sadlike: . It was like polishing it out last night was just a dream!

So does any one have a theory on what is going on here? Was it that my car has been in brightly sunlight all day and the heat has effected it (it's Moro blue so gets quite hot)?

Is the etching in the clear coat or is something from the bird poo sitting underneath it on top of the colour coat and the heat has cause it to leach back into the clear coat turning it matt again?

Do Audi really care about this issue or are they only interested in grabing your money and running?:moa:

Never had a problem on my Lava Grey, I just soak it off with saturated toilet roll and polish.

Sounds to me like seagull crap; some bird crap has a massive uric acid content, and will eat right the way through a clearcoat (no matter what level of protection is on the paint). Strange that the polishing effort returned the gloss and then the matt effect returned; I would expect this if you glazed the area, but as far as I am aware Scratch X does not have any gloss enhancers in it. The only thing for it though will be a session with the wet n dry and a rotary polisher; provided you have enough paint (this needs to be measured first), and that the etching hasn't gone all the way through (impossible to tell before starting out), it might be possible to greatly improve the problem. If you need some help finding a pro detailer let us know where you are and we can try to point you to someone whose work we rate. :)

WX51TXR said:
Sounds to me like seagull crap; some bird crap has a massive uric acid content, and will eat right the way through a clearcoat (no matter what level of protection is on the paint). Strange that the polishing effort returned the gloss and then the matt effect returned; I would expect this if you glazed the area, but as far as I am aware Scratch X does not have any gloss enhancers in it. The only thing for it though will be a session with the wet n dry and a rotary polisher; provided you have enough paint (this needs to be measured first), and that the etching hasn't gone all the way through (impossible to tell before starting out), it might be possible to greatly improve the problem. If you need some help finding a pro detailer let us know where you are and we can try to point you to someone whose work we rate. :)

Thanks for the info. It's the first bird poo I got on my car, when I'm not out it spends most of it's time in the garage to protect it from such things, so I'll have to see if the next bomb will damage it just as bad.

There was a bird poo on my car for only a few hours and the paint was damaged. I thought I had good protection, Blackfire stuff. Obviously not good enough.