Silverline Polisher

terrymcg

Reaction score
Just having a read around on a few forums and I have been reading a bit about the silverline polisher.

Whats the score with these as a beginner. Obviousley you need to get a few scrap panels to try it out on. But how would you know you have got the knack enough to move onto your own car? How much damage can you do to the paint with one of these? Is damage caused by generating to much heat?

Who's pads can you use on these? And whats the best method of learning?

Any info or links about these would be great as the price is so much more cheaper than a PC, but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, so there must be a reason as to why not many people use them!

Cheers

Terry

As a manufacturuer or rotary polishers, Silverline are okay; quality is okay, performance is okay (from what I have read and been told by other detailers I trust). However, they can bog down under certain conditions, as the motor isn't as good as that found on higher end units like the Makita 9227. So, for a rotary they represent a good budget buy, with reasonable performance.

Perhaps more importantly, the issue of choosing a rotary over a dual action machine is more crucial. Rotary polishers produce lots of heat and do lots of work very quickly. Touching a plastic panel with the side of a pad, even for a split second, can result in serious burning of the paint (to the extent that bodyshop work is required to fix it), and running over edges and creases with too much speed or pressure can have the same effect. On metal panels, in most cases there is minimal chance of burning the paint so long as you keep the machine moving smoothly, and keep an eye on heat build up. Practice is definitely required, and it will take a long time to get comfortable with the machine, as they do tend to pull you around a bit at first due to the torque. In time, you learn to have this work in your favour, and it becomes much less of a fight.

Compared to rotary machines, dual action machines are inherently a lot safer and a lot easier to master. Most people used to power tools can learn to use a dual action unit like a PC or UDM effectively in an afternoon. These tools don't pull you around, and aren't so sensitive so being run over edges and creases. Plastics are also machinable at full tilt as heat build up is almost negligable most of the time. Also, whilst the PC struggles a bit on harder paints, the new UDM has a much more powerful motor, and is capable of a decent level of work, even on BMW and Audi paint.

In summary, if you intend to do a lot of cars and can afford to spend a lot of time building up your skill level, then a rotary makes sense. However, if you intend to remain an enthusiast, and will only be using your machine every now and again, a dual action unit like the UDM is worth going for instead.

:)

Did you mean the silverline random orbital polisher / sander that's about 20 quid?

If so, it's amazing for the money, my g220 packed in and, just out of warranty I was looking for something else. All the guys on detailingworld.com spoke very highly of it so I bought one.

All I can say is, it's not going to burn your paint, or plastics as it's random orbital, and the finish is somethig else. I would challenge if my g220 was any better!!

I know i'm going to take some flack for that, but, it is only my opinion. Although it is the right one :o.k:

thought i had better stick the part number down - 289446

I have the silverline rotary, and for the money its more than adaquate. But as above watch out on seams and creases etc

Did you mean the silverline random orbital polisher / sander that's about 20 quid?

If so, it's amazing for the money, my g220 packed in and, just out of warranty I was looking for something else. All the guys on detailingworld.com spoke very highly of it so I bought one.

All I can say is, it's not going to burn your paint, or plastics as it's random orbital, and the finish is somethig else. I would challenge if my g220 was any better!!

I know i'm going to take some flack for that, but, it is only my opinion. Although it is the right one :o.k:

thought i had better stick the part number down - 289446

Interesting findings, cheers for sharing. When I get chance I'll get one of these in for a play. :icon_thumright:

Ordered a couple of these (yes, one for you Mark) from Transtools and they sent out the model up from it (still Silverline), dunno why... maybe didn't have the others in stock or something.

Anyhoo, at first look they look pretty sturdy. I am waiting for my order from Polished Bliss to arrive before I can try it out but I do have a question.

The one I had ordered (http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/p...hi-spec-random-orbital-sander-125mm-240v.html) has a variable speed of 4000-12000 rpm but the one they sent (http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/p...hi-spec-random-orbital-sander-125mm-240v.html) has a variable speed of 6000-13000rpm. Is this going to be a problem?

I have ordered some Menzerna 135mm pads, Final Polish II and some 203S (amongst other things). Is there going to be a prob with using a machine that has a no load speed of 6k minimum?

Thanks

<tuffty/>

That's a bit scary high in my opinion; both the Kestrel DAS-6 and the Megs G220 have a maximum speed of 6000 opm, and most work is done in the range 4000-5000 opm. I wouldn't be comfortable working at that kind of speed if I am honest. Do you know what the throw of the orbit is, i.e. how much do the orbits overlap by? On the DAS-6 and G220 it's between 10-15 mm, but on a sander it's usually a lot less (4-6 mm), meaning friction is greater. My fear is that this type of machine is going to generate too much heat and friction. I would check this out more carefully before you begin! :yes:

Cheers Rich, I suspect the throw is not that much as you say. I might just complain that they have sent the wrong ones and get them exchanged or refunded.

At the price the correct one looks to be ok but not worth the risk if the speed of this alternative one is too high.

I will let you know how I get on.

<tuffty/>

Transtools just called to say that the orange 'Hi Spec' one is discontinued which is why they sent out the 'better' ones. I have decided to keep one as its a good cheap orbital sander and send the other back for a refund (sorry Mark) and will just get a Kestral DAS-6 when Rich gets them back in stock.... simples!

<tuffty/>

OK, seeing as my PB order turned up today I thought I would at least give it a go so I used a Menz orange polish pad and Menz Final Polish II on my S3's passenger wing. I am no expert but I am pretty pleased with the result seeing as its my first attempt. The weather is a bit rubbish out so can't see it that well in contrast but shining a torch on it seems to show its worked ok.

This wing has some dodgy paint anyway and I am gonna get the passenger side resprayed soon. If the weather is better tomorrow I may have another go. My paint is pretty good and I am sure not much correction will be needed so I will take it easy and see how it goes.

One thing I will say, the orbital slows down a tad under load which may be benificial but I think I will still look at getting a Kestral for future use.

<tuffty/>