Removing scratchs in laquer- new tt.

grantshel

Reaction score
Hi all. im after a bit of advice. I have a new tt(march 2007) in solid black. I have got lots of little scratchs in the laquer , by a cat or fox i think and am wondering the best product to use to get rid, or at least hide a few as im thinking of selling. I have brought a machine polisher and have a white, blue and pink pad standing by but im unsure what is the best combo to use. Any help please.:confused:
Regards
grant

I need to know what machine you have before I can recommend the best polishes to use - by the colour of the pads, it isn't a Silverline rotary by any chance is it? Also, can you catch your fingernail in the scratches, or are they less deep than this?

WX51TXR said:
I need to know what machine you have before I can recommend the best polishes to use - by the colour of the pads, it isn't a Silverline rotary by any chance is it? Also, can you catch your fingernail in the scratches, or are they less deep than this?

Hi. Its a silverline polisher/sander, orange model lol. Most of them are not finger nail catchable, but there are a couple that are. Thanks for the reply.:icon_thumright:

This one by any chance?

868658.jpg

If so, then you need to proceed with caution, as this style of polisher (known as a rotary) takes a lot of practice to master, and in novice hands can do a lot more harm than good. This is because rotary polishers generate a lot of heat and friction, and do a lot more work a lot more quickly than safer dual action style polishers (such as the Porter Cable). My advice is practice first on scrap panels before using this type of polisher on your car. To tackle any kind of deeper defect in hard Audi paint is going to require a compound like Menzerna RD3.02 (or possibly even Menzerna Power Gloss), applied using a polishing pad (or possibly a cutting pad in some cases). Given that you seem quite new to this, I would recommend sticking with RD3.02 and a polishing pad, and laking repeated attempts, rather than wading in too deep with a much more aggressive combination. Just to clarify, do you have experience at all with tools like this?

WX51TXR said:
This one by any chance?

Hi. Yes thats the one. I sprayed a few cars when i was younger and used one then , but that was nearly 20 years ago lol. Thanks for taking the time to a help.

Okay, scrap panels first for sure then. The best method to use is the zenith method. Start by misting the pad with quick detailer. Then put 3-4 small blobs of polish onto the pad in a circle, half way between the centre and the outer edge. Put the pad onto the panel, then spread quickly at 900rpm. Once spread, bump the machine speed up to 1500rpm, and make slow passes with moderate pressure until the polish residue starts to turn clear. Then remove all pressure and make half a dozen quicker final passes at 900rpm to refine the finish. Stop, buff and inspect, and repeat if necessary. Just be aware that you are removing paint, so don't go too hard at it unless you are able to borrow a paint thickness gauge from someone to check your work. :)

Just thought i would give an update on my progress. In the end i used Menzerna Power Gloss. The overall results were pretty good. Whilst not quite removing all the deeper marks ( To scared to go any further as i dont have a paint gauge!) they are not noticable unless you put your face within inches of the paint. Thanks for the advice.
P.s
If anyone wants to buy an 07 tt let me know!!! lol