Detailing outside

ROBS3

Reaction score
Just a quick question - can you still get good results from detailing the car outside?

I'm going to get my car detailed but don't have a big enough garage for the work to be carried out in, so will probably have to be done on the drive.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance...

Of course you can.
Washing and claying can be done in the rain, drying is a bit difficult though.
Machine polishing can't, the water just gets into the polish doing its job, too much lubrication which ain't effective.

Applying and buffing other chemicals may well be a bit tricky if not impossible.

So yes, detailing can be done outside, but like any outdoor activity it will be subject to weather.

A gazebo is a very hand thing to be able to erect just in case. In fact it's also very useful in the direct sun as sometimes the polish can play up. Sometimes it's very useful to turn the car around so that the panels being worked are not in direct sunlight. The same goes for applying chemicals on the paint or on the windows. Haven't found wheels to be too fussy in the sun though.

Hope this helps.:icon_thumright:

depends really. If you mean a full paint correction then much better indoors so dust isnt landing on the car while products are curing (more so with sealants, you probably be OK with a wax) Buffing off will put fine marks back in.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I'll see if I can sort out somewhere internally for the job to be done the best it can.

Thanks again

Hmm, disagree a bit here, when working outside it doesn't take long for dust to land on the car, and this is far from ideal when machining; dust in with the polish does not make for a flawless finish! These days, we tend to insist on working indoors (after the initial wash and claying, which is often done in the rain!), as otherwise we feel our work is open to being compromised in terms of the quality of the final finish.

yes i too work in and out side it all depends on the environment your in ie if there is road works or building going on near by it wont be idel but if its on a drive out the way there is not problem working out side at all IMO, and i do have a nice clean little work shop to work in any how ; )