Full alloy wheel clean (56k beware)

batwad

Reaction score
Boy did I have a busy day yesterday. It was the first free weekend I've had in ages where the weather hasn't been completely awful so I thought I'd get round to properly tackling my speckly alloys. Here's an idea of the grime I was up against.
11.jpg

12.jpg

So off came the wheel - inside was even worse!
13.jpg

I gave the wheel a good going over with some soapy water and a soft alloy wheel brush and it came up fairly well as usual but there were several speckly spots of stubborn brake dust deposits.
21.jpg

I'd previously tried AG Intensive Tar Remover, which was awkward to use and had no effect, so the Autobrite Brite Wheels came out for its first outing. Diluted 3-1 I sprayed liberally over the wheel face and the inside. This was left to soak for about five minutes then revisited with the soft brush.
22.jpg

The caked on brake dust just disappeared! No scrubbing or hard work, the soft brush did the trick easily.
23.jpg

24.jpg

The insides came up a treat too - I never knew they were white in there!
25.jpg

So each wheel came off in turn and while I had the rears off I changed the discs and pads as they were getting low. I had both rears done and then the rain came :(
26.jpg

The operation moved inside to the dry so I could dress the wheels. Wheel wax went on and was left to dry for five minutes then buffed off.
31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Back on the car went the wheels and I was done, about five hours after starting. I was knackered but it was worth it; the transformation was incredible. I can't recommend Brite Wheels enough, such a great product and made the job so much easier. I'd had to think how much elbow grease the job would have required otherwise. I'm told it's not acidic so won't eat away your alloys either, which is nice.

I'll leave you with a couple of beading shots. I've never had water bead on my wheels before!
35.jpg

36.jpg

jr001 said:
Manky RS4s, tut, tut.

Great job there and cracking photos.

5 hours well spent.:respekt:

Good job mate!

I did the same this Saturday, only I left mine on the car as they are only 2 weeks old...

Washed, clayed, polished, sealed and waxed. Then drove to Sunderland and back... will see later in the week how easy they are to clean now...

I'm going to do mine too maybe this weekend. I have never clayed them though, which i think i will do. The wheels were brand-spankers in August last year, and usually get covered in brake dust quite quick, do you think claying will be worth while? I'll just use the megs clay i have, as i should have taken delivery of some Sonus Green clay today from Carwashnwax.

A little advice about the process:

1.Clean with Megs wheel cleaner & rinse
2.Clay with Megs last touch
3.Rinse again & dry
4.Polish with SRP 7 buff off
5.Poorboys wheel sealant & buff off

^^What do you think about the above process?

Although i have used the JEFFS Werkstatt kit on the body of my car. I topped the coating of JETT upto 3 coats this weekend, and i am VERY impressed with the colour & beading.

Should i use this kit on my wheels instead? if so, can someone recommend me a process for this (including the poorboys wheel sealant) please!!??

Thanks for the help folks, i want beautiful wheels.

Cheers

Jimmy

I reckon you could ditch the clay for Brite Wheels. Seriously, it's so impressive how much crud it shifts in the blink of an eye. If you're anal you can then go over and pick the one or two spots left by hand, but to me claying wheels sounds like a complete ball ache.

Remember guys that products like Brite Wheels and Megs Wheel Brightener and the likes are for stripping all gunk from the clearcoat outwards on our alloy wheels. Brake dust, some bits of tar and all protective layers of sealant or wax. Also, you prob don't want to use such products very often if they're acidic. They're good if you're doing loads of many-wheeled cars for getting them super clean, but there's generally no need for your own wheels if you're looking after them as much as people on this thread are!

The mad wheel thread this is!

Granty, the JEFFS stuff is a treat on the wheels and I would personally spend money on something else for your kit. Put the JEFFS to good use as it has several. As a wheel cleanser, you will notice the difference the PRIME makes and you'll feel the sealant layer it lays down. I used the PRIME after I did the wheel brightener and Tar and Glue remover steps and dried the wheel off. The Trigger, spray once onto a MF cloth and coat your wheel and leave for a few minutes before buffing over. A cracking finish. Just put on extra layers at the time, or after you have dried the wheels at the end of each wash. So easy to apply too. It's now my wheel sealant of choice at the moment and for the foreseeable future. Might try something else in a couple of years!

It would be interesting to know what someone else thought of the JEFFS stuff on the wheels. Granty, you are the chosen scientist for this one. Hope you don't mind. Report back your results!!!!

:icon_thumright:

^^ NO probs Jr......will see if i can get cracking on that one over the weekend then!!!

Think if i get time i'm going to detail the arches also!!

I'll have you a nice long report written up for you lot too, with many pics!!

Cheers