Best products for black leather?

MikeA3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a S3 and although the interior is in good condition i want to give it a really thorough clean and detail in the coming weeks.

The car has the black full leather interior - can anyone recommend a good product to use on these please - i don't want a shiny finish if at all possible.

thanks in advance

Mike

I use the megs leather stuff. Not bad, and its suprising how dirty the cleaning towels can get.

the finish you get is really going to depend on the state of the leather.

Haven't used the Megs stuff so far. There's lots of cleaners and feeders about though.

If the leather is in good nick as you say, then you should just use a damp MF cloth to give it a clean, or spray some water on it and agitate gently using a soft-bristled brush, say like this one:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/leather-cleaning-brush/prod_334.html
particularly where there is stitching.

Then give a dry off. I don't think there's any need to use any chemical cleaners unless you're trying to remove stains that won't budge with water, or if you're trying to remove old products which you may well want to do. In that case use a very dilute APC or dedicated cleanser.

To feed the leather I presently use Zymol Leather conditioner because of its contents of natural products - I think that's the secret with leather treatments - natural stuff. Try warming the leather first with hairdrier on low setting then apply conditioner. Leave to soak into the leather then finish with gentle MF wipe. If the leather's already warmed by the sun then no need for the hairdrier.

There's a cracking well-subscribed thread on DetailingWorld that is very informative indeed. Since you've got lether throughout your car it may be worth a wee read.

Hope this helps.:icon_thumright:

As above, a damp wipe down and then a feed with Zymol Treat is our standard routine, it's worth avoiding chemical cleaners unless absolutely necessary, as they tend to strip oils from the leather, thus drying it out. :)

I have used Zymol Treat and Gliptone Leather Feed and in my experience Gliptone wins hands down. The leather feels noticeable softer with Gliptone and it doesn't leave a shiny finish like the Zymol does.

Gliptone stuff is the easiest and achieves very good results for me, I have some of the zymol treat too, like the smell but the gliptone beats it for me

so the consensus is to use a damp cloth to clean, then dry it, then apply a good leather product?

Tried a few different ones, Zymol, Swissol etc. gliptone is the best in my opinion.

gibo said:
so the consensus is to use a damp cloth to clean, then dry it, then apply a good leather product?

If really needed (i.e. your seats are visibly dirty), then a mild all purpose cleaner wipe down followed by a proper feed is generally all that is needed. If your seats get dirty quickly and you need to do the clean step frequently, then a dedicated leather cleaner will likely be more gentle than an all pupose cleaner, and thus a better safer bet. As said above, there are heaps of leather cleaners and feeds on the market, but our favourite products at the moment are those in the Zymol range, particularly Treat. :)

Mr OCD said:
I love the Gliptone twins myself... cleanse, dry then condition brings any leather interior up like new :icon_thumright:

I agree. Gliptone Liquid Leather cleaner and conditioner are the best I've ever used. No shininess at all!