Quite An Active Weekend (56K A-No-No)

JGrant1285

Sir Scouser Benitez
Reaction score
Website
www.allhiphop.com
Ok, well all this week ive been longing for something to do (productive) this weekend I had ordered my new Discs & Pads for the front (since they needed replacing anyways) and i knew they were going to be delivered on sat. With this to my knowledge, Friday night came, i just recieved a delivery of products from Polished Bliss & a delivery from CleanYourCar. I decided that the front wheels were comming off anyway, so i would give them a going-over.

Before

DSC00196.jpg

Then washed them with Megs Wheel Brightner (first time i ever used this)

DSC00197.jpg

The gave them a drying out...and then went over the tar spots with tar & glue remover.

DSC00198.jpg

The the poorboys wheel sealant came out:

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

Then Buffed off the Poorboys:

DSC00201.jpg

I decided to see what the (newley ordered) Chemical Guys Wet Mirror-Finish looked like after the sealant:

DSC00202.jpg

Wheels were then so smooth....lovely to touch..and ready and prepared for anything that these english roads chuck at them!!

DSC00203.jpg

Next up.....

Fitting EBC Discs & EBC Greenstuff Pads..

Now for Sat's mission....

Items were delivered pre 10:00am..

DSC00205.jpg

Then i whipped the Calipers, Carriers & Discs Off...

DSC00208.jpg

I decided that the '****-guard' was looking a bit under the weather...so i took that off...wire-brushed it...washed it with Megs Wheel Bright...and gave it a good few coats with Spray-Hammerite:

DSC00209.jpg

I had already bought the Red Hammerite for the calipers...before i had ordered the greenstuff pads, oh well......first coat:

DSC00211.jpg

Then there was a long wait inbetween coats etc....did both sides, then built it all back up:

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

Whacked the wheel back on and then took it for a spin with VERY LIGHT breaking:

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

Tomorow....a good full-clean trying out some products that i recieved on friday...up early AGAIN tomorow....getting in a rut ha ha

That is looking good...top job

nice that buddy, good attention to detail which is the name of the game!

Well done, nothing like good cleansed wheels. It's a job definetely worth doing well. Minimal washing from now on to maintain their healthy glow.
:icon_thumright:

Cheers fellas!!

Question:
Now as i have protected the wheels with the poorboys & chemical guys...if i use Megs Wheel Bright on them to wash them, will this take off this coating..or will i be ok? Should i just use the megs shampoo from now on on the rims?

I was alittle baffled at one point...See the discs....they were all black yeah? Well on the boxes it said use white spirits to remove the 'Anti-corrosion' film before using the discs....well i washed the discs before i noticed this message. I couldn't work out wether they meant a film of oil on the discs, or they meant the black coating lol. I tried white spirits on the discs, and there was no-way that it was going to come off. I decided to whack them on and it would be rubbed off by the pads, but i wasn't sure if this could damage/hinder the performance of my new pads......can you tell this is the first set of non OEM discs that i have used ha ha ha...Ive done some easy driving now, and its all come off (apart from the slots)...i was just scratching my head at the time.

I'm still undecided at the mix between the red calipers and the green pads...do you think its abit tacky? Yanno what they say...red and green should never be seen.....? Mind you i suppose that brake dust will not make them stand out as much.

Your thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions.

discs come with an oil coating on them to stop them rusting on the shelf in the warhouse. white spirit or brake/clutch cleaner (available from your local motor factors in a spray can like WD40) are the best.

spray on, wipe off. job done :)

Nice work mate - huge improvement over standard and a great chance to tidy everything up while you've taken it all apart! Well impressed.

Cheers mate ^^^

Right, well ive just finished it all now....got some pics, but im short for time...so i'll upload the rest tomorow night.

I'm dying to see how good the brakes are...just waiting for them to bed in now....i hoping that they are going to take the **** out of my budget 'Antyre' lol!!!

Got to dash, but until 2mw, heres a sneaky-peaky:

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00278.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

Until then....

JGrant1285 said:
Question:
Now as i have protected the wheels with the poorboys & chemical guys...if i use Megs Wheel Bright on them to wash them, will this take off this coating..or will i be ok? Should i just use the megs shampoo from now on on the rims?

Yes, the Megs stuff will remove your PB and CG layers mate. In fact the WB should only be used rarely on wheels that are caked in heavily bonded stuff that shampoo washing cannot remove.

So, yes you should get all the grime off your wheels just by shampooing as part of your normal wash routine. However, you may have to replace the protection layers say every 6 months or so - a good cleanser should do this, no need for the Megs WB.

Cheers.:icon_thumright:

JGrant1285 said:
Cheers fellas!!

Question:

Hey mate, Fantastic work on your car!!!

My experience with the wheel seal is that you won't need to use your megs wheel bright on it. You can get 95% of the dirt and brkae dust off just by rinsing with a jet wash, the rest can be done with shampoo and a microfibre mit.
Rich at polished bliss recommended that I put 2-3 layers of the seal on for the best protection.

And to answer your question, I believe the megs wheel bright will strip the wheel seal.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the comments guys!!!!

Rest of the pics will be uploaded tonight.

Loving the weather.....its pouring down here....and ONLY because ive done my car...grrrrrrrrr

Nice mods and detailing so far, I think the combo looks fine enough, and the wheels top it all off very nicely. As said above, normal suds should sufice from now, just add a fresh coat of Wheel Sealant every 4-6 weeks to keep the alloys slick and looking spot on. :)

WX51TXR said:
just add a fresh coat of Wheel Sealant every 4-6 weeks to keep the alloys slick and looking spot on. :)

When you say add a fresh coat of wheel sealant? do you mean strip all the current sealant off the wheels and start again, or just shampoo the wheels and then add another coat over the top of the existing coat?

Thanks for the replies guys.....it boosts your confidence when you get good feedback, especially when around feb this year, i was still washing my car with Fairy liquid and a sponge & 1 bucket....with nothing else....little did i know!!!

Thanks again

Just wash normally with shampoo and add a top up coat; I only strip my wheels 1-2 times a year, the rest of the time I just wash them and top up the protetction regularly. :)

Hmmmmm...........i'm at the missus' house...so i aint got my pics with me to upload. They'll be done over the next few days. I've also done my mums new Volvo S60 that she's just got. It was in bit of a state inside too (been lived in) so ive done that, got a few pics of that too.

TTFN!!

Fantastic job there Granty!
I just love it when you can see right through a wheel and see the glossy clearcoat shining all the way through. You could eat your dinner off them now!!! The rest of the car is looking very glossy too, cracking stuff.

They should be dead easy to maintain now that you've done all this cleansing and protection. Keep the forum apdated on the durability of the products you have used mate. Well done.

Go get yourself a cold beer now. I'm on holiday and my wife has just offered me a wee whisky, so I'm going to go and have one as a wee treat for my night's claying.

A big Cheers to you big chap!:respekt:

Thanks JR!!!

I dont know wether its me or not, but when i look at others jobs, mine doesnt seem as shiny..i dont know wether its me, or the fact that the cars silver. Also, i want my car to bead.........nothing better than looking at a nice clean car, with the rain beading straight off it. I have still to come across a product yet, that the rain beads off nicely!!?? Any ideas of products?

Ive just puchased the JEFFS Werkstatt kit from Polished bliss too.

The JEFFS kit should allow the water to sheet/bead off nicely - it does on my windows. If you're looking for the same effect on your bodywork make sure you prep the paint with claying/lubrication. The the Prime should cleanse and lay an acrylic reflective base layer to leave the paint smooth like glass ready for the Jett Trigger. Make sure to add more coats of the Jett over the coming weeks. Your paint should be nice and glossy looking and reflective too.

For photos, you want to use your camera at large angles from the perpendicular, you get more image reflection in the clearcoat at these angles. This is the trick with silver. At other smaller angles from the perpendicualr, most of the background light faround the image you are trying to photograph reflects from the paint colour underneath, so obscuring the intended target. In other words, photograph your image 'along' the car body. Hope this makes sense.

Can't wait to see your car when you've 'finished'!:icon_thumright:

Meant to say, if you check the 'you tube' link in my Silver TT (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=41237) thread, you'll see the beading when I washed that car after completion. Zymol Carbon is the final layer on that car, which you can put on top of the JEFFS stuff if you decided to go down that route. You should get something similar though with all the JEFFS stuff alone.

Cheers.

JGrant1285 said:
Thanks JR!!!

I dont know wether its me or not, but when i look at others jobs, mine doesnt seem as shiny..i dont know wether its me, or the fact that the cars silver. Also, i want my car to bead.........nothing better than looking at a nice clean car, with the rain beading straight off it. I have still to come across a product yet, that the rain beads off nicely!!?? Any ideas of products?

Ive just puchased the JEFFS Werkstatt kit from Polished bliss too.

I use the JEFFS acrylic kit on my S3 and get great beading. Though I tend to put 2-3 layers of the Trigger on and get about 3 months out of it before needing to start fresh with the prime again.
I really rate this kit!!!

Cheers for the input fellas!!!

Well, since my last post, i have actually clayed the windows on the car, dried them off, and then used the acrylic PRIME on the windows. Quite impressed with the beading, and just the way that the water 'sits' on the windows. I'm thinking of giving the windows another coat with the PRIME once i've washed it again. Do you think they will benefit from another coat? Also i only use the PRIME on the windows dont i? I dont use the other 2 (cant remember the names off the top of my head).

The cars not been long since clayed too, 1 more thing, with the Werkstatt, is it worth removing all the other polish/protection before i use this kit on the paintwork (removing with washing up liquid)???

Thanks alot for the replies, its good for you to take the time *Thumbs up*

Prime is not really a product you add more coats of. It is a CLEANSER but also lays a base acrylic foundation. So, doing another coat will just remove the first!!! It's the Acrylic JETT Trigger that is purely a sealant and it is this that you provide your further coats with mate.

On the windows I've found the Prime to be enough.

You can use Prime on lots of bits. It is a cleanser so you can use it on paint to remove old chemicals and other crud. Use it on wheels to cleanse AND protect.

To remove old coatings of chemicals I would personally use the Prime twice, but remember to let it cure for 30 mins each time.

I've spent part of today cleansing and sealing all the glass on an A3 sportback with glass roof with the Prime. Inside and out - that's a lot of glass!! Have also cleansed and protected the RS6 alloys with it too. I don't have any Jett left otherwise I would have topped up with that.

Overall, the Prime has many uses.

Cheers,

JOHN:icon_thumright: