JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    4th Gear

Status

UK Plug for 2 Pin US Connection

Hi guys, as the thread says saw on a thread somewhere that you can buy a UK plug that converts the 2 pin US connector, you simply open the UK plug put the 2 pin connector in and ready to plug in - ive searched high and low and cant find the thread - anyone help me on this

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Try maplins.
    A4 2.0TDI S Line (2008)
    MMI/Sat Nav, Parking System Advanced, Advanced Key

4th Gear

Status
    Lindy is always good for this kind of thing.

http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolde...3097/index.php
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marms
    Lindy is always good for this kind of thing.

http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolde...3097/index.php
    Thats the one, thanks mate. Want to go down this route as I dont have to cut the lead and void warranty on pc - yeah maplins popped down yesterday and they dont do them, thanks guys.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Thats good, but remember that the US power supply is 110v and we are 220 ish. You will blow it up as soon as its plugged in. You will need a small transformer@ around £30

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah Im hopefully going to buy the 110 site transformer tmrw from Surefix and then its all systems go - weather permitting...

6th Gear

Status
    hang on dude, don't the transformers have 2 pin sockets on them anyway?

4th Gear

Status
    the site transformers have the 3 pin fitments so will have to convert the US 2 pin to three, all site equipment use the round 3 pin fitments. Basic US converters which you can pick up from Maplins are not powerful enough to run a pc theyre more for your electric shavers/toothbrushes etc so it will have to be a site 110v site transformer - well so I have been told...

Neutral

Status
    Site transformers are industrial type connections. The Transformers have 3 pin connections but NOT like a standard mains lead. You need a plug like the one below.

http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/35522.jpg

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pav-g
    Hi guys, as the thread says saw on a thread somewhere that you can buy a UK plug that converts the 2 pin US connector, you simply open the UK plug put the 2 pin connector in and ready to plug in - ive searched high and low and cant find the thread - anyone help me on this
    Why dont you have ago at the method shown on detailing world.....Im totally cack handed and I managed to do it,it saves you cutting of the plug and as you say voiding the warrranty.You wont be able to plug the standard 3 pin into the transformer ,as the connection is a round pin connection.

What I did was diconected the original cable,cut off about 10 mts of the yellow cable ( I bought 50 mts of the yellow cable on a drum and the transformer 2nd hand) wired up a new waterproof roud 3 pin plug to one end of the 10 mts of cable and wired the other cut end into the machine.It took me about an hour ( if your better at DIY probably wont take you as long)
    So now the pc wired up and plugs direct into the transformer........one of these days I'll get around to using it !!
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=4778 heres the link

4th Gear

Status
    That sounds like a great idea, even though ive ordered plug from Lindys I'll have a read on the detailingworld forum and if its as easy as you say then I'll opt for this option. Me and wires we just dont go, the most ive done is change a fuse in a plug and that was years ago...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pav-g
    That sounds like a great idea, even though ive ordered plug from Lindys I'll have a read on the detailingworld forum and if its as easy as you say then I'll opt for this option. Me and wires we just dont go, the most ive done is change a fuse in a plug and that was years ago...
    If you and wires dont go ,then get somebody to do it for you.......failing that do the easy thing and just cut the original plug off and put the yellow round 3 pin on.......I wonder now why I didnt do it ,am I really going to send the PC back to the States if it goes wrong ? I dont think so some how,it'll probably cost as much as its worth ,and Ive never heard anyone have a problem with them anyway.........just a thought !

Neutral

Status
    PAv,
    heres a link to one of the group buys on DW,go to the last page ,someones just enquired if hes got any spares left ,might save you some time/trouble,although you'll still have to wire it into the PC.
    Replacement power cables for PC 7424 GB #4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back by popular demand, Mini-Nigel's replacement power cable for the PC. Information can be found via the last group buy here: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=16852

10 names to be on the list to make this one viable. 6 names already down:

1. the_mudster
    2. globyxl420
    3. gamallear
    4. c0r54
    5. ToLearn
    6. Quartz

4th Gear

Status
    Cheers mate, the link is bringing up an error code but I'll find the thread on the detailing forum.

Polished Bliss

Status
    If you change the plug on the PC and it breaks down you can still send it back (well, at least with Autopia you can). They understand changing the plug is a necessity, so it's no problem. I know this for sure, as I had to send one back last year!

4th Gear

Status
    Finally got my tranny, extn cable and plugs etc. Ive got two options 1. to cut wire and put the 3 pin plug on or use the uk plug connector which houses the 2 pin plug... so I shall play this weekend and see whats easier. Lets hope weathers good so I can do some polishing...