Help! - removal of shiny stuff on trim

Quattravant

Reaction score
My wife's beautiful 6 month-old A3 has just come back from an Audi bodyshop, having spent nearly five weeks getting a new tailgate and rear light fitted after a minor bump. 'Staff absence' was the reason given for the unbelievable delay, so I demanded a full valet (inside and out) and wax/polish as a gesture of goodwill and compensation for our inconvenience. I wish I hadn't asked.

Apart from not even getting rid of the accumulated dust inside the car, incredibly they have used some kind of Arthur Daley back-street trader's shiny silicone spray on the centre console and armrest. This car is well looked after, so to see it now looking like it should be on a deal-of-the-week-forecourt is frustrating to say the least.

Anyway I'll get to the point:- I was told that an apprentice had accidently used 'bumper-bar spray' on the interior plastic until he realised that it probably wasn't a good idea, so we now have a very shiny centre console and armrest. I could kick up a fuss and demand this and that, but I wouldn't trust them to put it right.

So I would like to know if anybody has any idea how best to remove this stuff please. I would imagine it is probably something like 'back-to-black' or similar and is probably full of silicone, no doubt great for bumpers or mudflaps etc, but totally inappropriate for new interiors, which should have a matt finish.

:think:
Replies appreciated.

best to just get a flannel and warm water, ring it out and rub the abused areas like mad!

Use an All Purpose Cleaner such as Meguiars or Poorboys to remove it with a MF cloth, this will make sure it is completely removed, then something like Poorboys Natural Look Dressing on all the interior plastics and Vinyl would be a good idea, this leaves a completely matt look and smells great too, i use it on my Leon interior all the time :)

Thanks for the replies - I'll try what you suggest. I like the sound of the Poorboys Natural Look Dressing - that's exactly what I've been looking for to use on my new A6, so I'll order some.

Cheers.

Clark@Polishedbliss said:
then something like Poorboys Natural Look Dressing on all the interior plastics and Vinyl would be a good idea, this leaves a completely matt look and smells great too, i use it on my Leon interior all the time :)

Now my vinyl dressing of choice. I love it to bits. As Clark says a matt finish and the smell was doing my head in for a while until I discovered it's CHERRY! It's magic and I believe even Polished Bliss may sell the stuff:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb147interior.html

Make sure you buy a spray head also and just cut it to size. Apply a spray to MF and away you go.

Slightly off-subject but does anyone know of a product which emulates that "new-smell" which stays with a new car for about 6 weeks then goes?