Badger5EM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Help! - removal of shiny stuff on trim

My wife's beautiful 6 month-old A3 has just come back from an Audi bodyshop, having spent nearly five weeks getting a new tailgate and rear light fitted after a minor bump. 'Staff absence' was the reason given for the unbelievable delay, so I demanded a full valet (inside and out) and wax/polish as a gesture of goodwill and compensation for our inconvenience. I wish I hadn't asked.

Apart from not even getting rid of the accumulated dust inside the car, incredibly they have used some kind of Arthur Daley back-street trader's shiny silicone spray on the centre console and armrest. This car is well looked after, so to see it now looking like it should be on a deal-of-the-week-forecourt is frustrating to say the least.

Anyway I'll get to the point:- I was told that an apprentice had accidently used 'bumper-bar spray' on the interior plastic until he realised that it probably wasn't a good idea, so we now have a very shiny centre console and armrest. I could kick up a fuss and demand this and that, but I wouldn't trust them to put it right.

So I would like to know if anybody has any idea how best to remove this stuff please. I would imagine it is probably something like 'back-to-black' or similar and is probably full of silicone, no doubt great for bumpers or mudflaps etc, but totally inappropriate for new interiors, which should have a matt finish.

Replies appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Boydie
    best to just get a flannel and warm water, ring it out and rub the abused areas like mad!

cheesypeas

Status
    try something like the autoglym vinyal cleaner, it seems to have worked for some people.
    1999 1.8 SE A4 100% standard tank, all green.
    Alpine old skool
    Helix RS6 - PHD PRO 4070
    Coral 10" passive setup - PHD 2200

Professional Detailer

Status
    Use an All Purpose Cleaner such as Meguiars or Poorboys to remove it with a MF cloth, this will make sure it is completely removed, then something like Poorboys Natural Look Dressing on all the interior plastics and Vinyl would be a good idea, this leaves a completely matt look and smells great too, i use it on my Leon interior all the time

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replies - I'll try what you suggest. I like the sound of the Poorboys Natural Look Dressing - that's exactly what I've been looking for to use on my new A6, so I'll order some.

Cheers.

2nd Gear

Status

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Clark@Polishedbliss
    then something like Poorboys Natural Look Dressing on all the interior plastics and Vinyl would be a good idea, this leaves a completely matt look and smells great too, i use it on my Leon interior all the time
    Now my vinyl dressing of choice. I love it to bits. As Clark says a matt finish and the smell was doing my head in for a while until I discovered it's CHERRY! It's magic and I believe even Polished Bliss may sell the stuff:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...7interior.html

Make sure you buy a spray head also and just cut it to size. Apply a spray to MF and away you go.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Slightly off-subject but does anyone know of a product which emulates that "new-smell" which stays with a new car for about 6 weeks then goes?