Polished Bliss Vs Jaguar XKR (lots of swirls & lots of pics!)

Clark@Polishedbliss

Professional Detailer
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
No rest for the wicked as they say, and following straight on from the 360 at the weekend was a Jaguar XKR (i forgot to take a before pic of the car, but it was pretty clean already!).

The owner was after full paint correction and an LSP that he could maintain himself :)

So with the car washed & dried, these were the defects i could see in the sunshine:

Not too bad (or so i thought!), just looked like wash marring more than anything so i'd hoped it was be a nice easy detail :)

The car was generally in very good condition but had a couple of noticeable scratches, one on the nearside rear quarter:

And a couple of quite deep scuffs/nicks in the offside front wing:

These were the only bits that got your attention when looking at the car so i decided to wet sand them before putting it inside for polishing, as it would have been a shame to leave them there, after pics can be seen a little further down the post, i didnt bother taking pics during the sanding as we all know what it looks like by now :cool:

Once inside it was obvious that the defects were worse under the halogens than even the sun had shown outside, the car was covered in RIDS and cob-webbing:

Paint readings were taken & the car was a healthy 150-220microns, with the front end showing signs of a re-spray (a very good one too, very little signs of any paintwork at all), although the rear bumper was a scary 45-60 microns - this got HD Cleansed twice and left at that, annoying but i wasnt prepared to take anything abrasive to it and risk striking through :cool:

Being Jaguar paint (pretty soft) i decided to try 106ff on a polishing pad
@1500rpm's first to see how much it would correct the paint by, as this worked for us before on an X-Type, but the paint pretty much laughed at this, which surprised me a little...

So i stepped up to IP 3.02 on a Meguiars polishing pad @ 1700rpms and this pretty much corrected every panel to nearly 100% within 2 attempts, although the weather got a lot cooler and the polish started to be a pain in the a$$ at times, resulting in slight holograms as i couldnt finish down properly due to the panels getting a tad hot. It was safer to just follow up with 85RD on a finishing pad later :)

Here's a couple of pics to show the level of correction achieved:

nearside front wing before:

URL]

nearside front wing after:

Nearside door before:

Nearside door after:

bootlid 50/50 shot:

Here's the full Process and the finished pics which follow: :)

Wash:

- Meguiars APC through AB foam gun
- Rinsed
- Meguiars APC in Arches and on tyres
- Foamed with Meguiars Shampoo Plus & washed with TBM.
- Rinsed
- Wheels cleaned with normal shampoo and water
- Tar & glue remover applied to lower half of car
- Top half including glass clayed with Meguiars Aggressive Clay
- Dried with Poorboys Waffle Weave

Polish:

- Taped with 3434
- Menzerna IP 3.02 via Megs Polishing Pad @ 1700rpms
- Menzerna 85RD via Megs Finishing Pad @ 1200rpms
- smaller areas done by hand & 3.02 with German Applicator Pad.
- Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Prime via Glazing Pad & PC @ Speed 2
- Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Trigger x 2
- Glass - Zymol HD Cleanse
- Arches - Meguiars All Season Dressing
- Exhaust Tips - Blackfire Fine Cut Metal Polish
- Wheels - PB Wheel Sealant
- Tyres - Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel

Final wipe down with Zymol Field Glaze (force of habit and i think i'm slightly addicted to the smell! :D)

Afters:

CXKRaa.jpg

Scratch before:

Scratch after:

Scuffs on wing before:

After:

(sorry for the slightly different angles)

I was very pleased with this one, as i managed to achieve greater paint correction than i had imagined i would, and the owner was very happy too, i pointed him in the direction of Detailing World so he should hopefully be along later :icon_thumright:

Stunning stuff as always Clark. And I'm pleased to see these threads again - have been hovering in this forum every day to check out your latest work! :)

yet another amazing job....its was looking at some of your previus work which first made me realise what detailing a car was all about.
Excellent.

:respekt: :icon_thumright:

excellent - the colour is now stunning

really impressed how you removed the scratches!

i have a couple of wee ones like that on my A3

is it hard to wet sand these areas? i would be too scared of damaging the car :S