Petrol Leak

unkle

Beer God
Reaction score
Was transporting my friends mini moto in the boot yesterday, unfortunatly the fuel tank cap wasnt properly secured and a large quantity of petrol was spilt in the boot, Ive took out the boot liner and given it a thorough hosing down and wash, washed out the hole where the spare tire and jack goes and given all of that a really good clean too but the whole boot and car still reaks pretty badly, the petrol has also stained the inside of the 'sealant' under the boot liner and has eaten a little bit into some polystyrene padding.

Any tips on how to get rid of the smell or will it eventually go with time?

Also anyone know where to get a cheap replacement boot liner, god knows how much VW will want....

e-bay for a new liner? i wouldnt think VW would be THAT expensive for a new one?

As for removing the Petrol and smell, i would use an All Purpose Cleaner diluted at something like 4:1, maybe stronger and wipe down everything in sight that the petrol may have touched, the smell should eventually disappear, as for the lining i dont know if you'll get rid of it completely....

Thanks, will try this out tommorow when the weathers nicer.