What to use and why on solid black

WX51TXR

Polished Bliss
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
Solid black is one of those colours that you either love or loath. A well detailed solid black car undoubtedly looks fantastic, but needs a lot of tender loving care to stay that way. However, a neglected black car will always look a complete state, with every single little defect showing up from a mile away. Would I have one? Yes, for sure, but then again, it’s in my interests to spend hours looking after my cars! What to do with it then…

The main advantage of solid black is reflectivity; nothing else reflects light in the same way, and it’s the only colour that a true mirror image can be created upon. However, even a mirror image can be made to look subtly different, depending on whether you finish with a wax or a sealant. To this end, solid black can be made to look warm and wet, or cold and shiny. Here’s how (and assuming that the initial preparation work is spot on)…

If you like your solid black car to sport a cold, hard, wet shine, with razor sharp reflections, then you need to be using a pure sealant system to protect the paint. We sell a number of pure sealants, and the finest for this task is Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket. It certainly doesn’t look anything other than cold, hard and shiny, but boy does it give clarity, as the following images show…

protect10.jpg

protect9.jpg

fabia1.jpg

fabia3.jpg

If the above is a little too hard looking for your tastes, and you would prefer a little more wetness to the finish, then Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection is a better bet. This gives most of the reflectivity of Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket, but adds a lot of the wetness associated with good carnauba waxes (however, what is doesn’t do is give the warmth that good carnauba waxes impart, but we’ll come to that in a minute). Here’s some images showing the finish it gives…

typer8.jpg

typer9.jpg

typer10.jpg

typer13.jpg

…definitely more wetness, and still razor sharp reflectivity…

350z-gt4-zb.jpg

350z-gt4-v.jpg

350z-gt4-x.jpg

350z-gt4-za.jpg

Just for the record, the Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Kit gives very similar results to the above on solid black.

If all of the above lack of warmth fails to impress, and you want much more wetness and richness from your solid black paint, then finishing with a carnauba wax is the way to go. Blackfire have just released a high quality carnauba wax designed to sit over Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection to serve this very purpose (Midnight Sun Paste Wax), and first attempts with it have been promising, but sadly we haven’t done any solid black cars with it yet, so no pictures. However, here are a few shots showing the finish other good quality paste waxes, such as Poorboy’s Natty’s Blue, give on solid black. Note the extra wetness and warmth, but the slight loss of clarity in the reflections, which is typical of wax finishes…

nattys1.jpg

nattys4.jpg

nattys2.jpg

nattys3.jpg

The final question on the minds of some of you might be; is it possible to create a finish with all of the reflectivity of Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket and all of the wetness and warmth associated with a good quality paste wax using just a single product (note that the Blackfire combination of Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection and Midnight Sun Paste Wax will do this)? The answer is yes, but at a price. Below are images of Zymöl Vintage on solid black; it gives razor sharp clarity, maximum wetness and great warmth, along with an intense vibrancy that makes the paint look like it is shimmering. It is very good, but what do you expect for £1852 a pot?!

s2000m.jpg

s2000k.jpg

s2000n.jpg

s2000p.jpg

In summary then, here’s some ideas and links…

Maximum reflectivity, intense shine

Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket

mzu8-l.jpg

Maximum reflectivity, more wetness

Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

bf3-l.jpg

Good reflectivity, much more wetness and warmth

Blackfire Midnight Sun Paste Wax

bf12-l.jpg

Poorboy’s Natty’s Blue Paste Wax

pw21-l.jpg

Ultimate system for best of both worlds at real world prices

Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

topped with

Blackfire Midnight Sun Paste Wax

or bought as part of this kit...

Blackfire Wet Ice Over Fire Shine Kit

bf14-l.jpg

:icon_thumright:

Does the same apply to pearlesent paint as solid paint?, mines 4 weeks old and phantom black, up to now I've just been washing and leathering but I would like to use something to have a deep wet shine but not sure of what and the process,
any advice is appreciated.

Bear with me, guide to what to use and why on metallic and pearlescent paint coming up in the next few days, should be perfect for your needs. :)

It's coming, bear with me, busiest week of the year so far, massive rush of orders for the weekend, plus unit preparation going on behind the scenes. Won't be long... :)

No worries, just been looking at some of your latest work, in a word, awesome.:icon_thumright:

:redface: Err, best laid plans and all that! What with the new unit, dozens of orders and e-mails each day, plus a waiting list stretching into June for our services, I have to admit I'm struggling to cope, and failing miserably with a number of tasks such as the above! Will get there when I can, if you want some one to one advice sooner please phone me on 07757 746856, will gladly help. :)

I know ignore me been witty, I know youv'e got alot on with the move etc, keep up the excellent work , also are there any training courses out there to learn detailing as a view to doing it as a profession as yourselves do? it's something I'd be intrested in learning:icon_thumright:

well it's something I would be seriously intrested in learning, i'm sure it would prove to be very popular with alot of other people too:icon_thumright: