black (tar) spots - autoglym or quick clay

tj1978

MRX
Reaction score
Hi

due to reccomendations from this forum I have bought the meguiars clay and also a bottle of autoglym tar remover...

I have had a coat of protector varnish which was put on my car when I bought it... will it be harmed if I use either of these products on my car ???

Thanks and regards

Tim

Hi Tim, yes, either product will completely strip any protective coatings on the car. This is no bad thing, as even the best waxes and sealants tend to become exhausted after 4-6 months, so claying twice a year is a good way to keep the surface free of contaminants and prepare the paint for a fresh coat of wax or sealant. If tar contamination is very light then claying works well; however, if there is a lot of tar on the panels then it is best to use the tar and glue remover first, then rinse, then use the clay bar. :)

Good advice there. I would add to Rich's comments above by reminding you to use light finger pressure when claying. I somehow did not do this on my recent A4 expedition and left plenty of noticeable marring on my superclean paintwork! What a diddy!

I was not too bothered, however, as I knew I was going to PC the car and that the marring would be removed.

Yes, use plenty of lube, and check your work bit by bit if you're not going to PC the paintwork or have it Rotaried mate.

:icon_thumright: