Coloured wax??

fdussud

Reaction score
Does coloured wax work well? I have a black audi with swirl marks in the paint. I have been told that it I get a black wax it should remove the swirls. Any thoughts?

No, in general such products are very poor, and do little to help. If you have defects such as swirls and want to try to hide them, you need to glaze the paint before you seal it with either a wax or a sealant. Glazes contain oils and fillers that do the hiding, but to stop these being washed away (and thus revealing the defects again) you obviously need to seal them beneath a coat of wax or a synthetic sealant. However, all of these measures are only temporary, and eventually the defects will show again as the glaze is eroded. The only way to get rid of such defects once and for all is to machine polish the paint, and thus remove the swirls along with a microscopic amount of paint. Here's a couple of guides that talk about glazing and protecting paint on cars...

Methods for tackling paint defects

Options for protecting your paint

:sm4:

Someone I knew a while back used the coloured waxes on her car repeatedly and when she tried to trade it in the garage wouldn't take it off her. She needed to use some form of cutting compound on it and it came off like chewing gum.

Thanks Sinny 71, Glad I asked the question then, I will stay away from coloured waxes.

If it left a residue like that I would think it's been applied incorrectly rather than a bad product. I have used it in the past on old motors before selling them as it's a quick cover-up for older paint, plus if you are selling a car for 500, I dont want to spend an entire weekend giving it the full treatment.

fdussud said:
Thank for the advice, Are there any glazes you recommend?

The glaze with the most defect filling power I stock is Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze; it's easy to apply by hand or machine, and can be sealed with either a sealant like Menzerna FMJ or a decent carnauba wax. :)