Polished Bliss vs S2000 (Zymöl Vintage on Solid Black)

WX51TXR

Polished Bliss
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
Well, here we go then, our first customer detail finishing with Zymöl Vintage. This nine year old Honda S2000 is currently only used during the summer months, and was under threat of being traded in for an Evo at the end of last year, but the owner then had kittens about the likely running costs for an Evo, and instead decided restoration was a better option. After a referral from another customer, the owner Dave got in touch with us and arranged a full correction detail to coincide with the return of the wheels from a refurbishing treatment. All that remained was to pray for good weather for the finals…

You would think that this would be an easy car to do, what with Honda paint being about the softest there is, but as it turned out this was one of the hardest correction details we’ve done. The problem? Finishing with the rotaries without leaving holograms proved damn near impossible, with either of the high quality finishing polishes at our disposal. The correction itself was easy, with virtually everything coming out in the first pass at 1500rpm, but trying to then finish perfectly, even at 700rpm and much patience, was just not happening. The holograms were very faint, but present all the same. Remembering that Brazo had a similar problem recently on soft Honda paint, we switched to finishing by PC using a firm finishing pad. This did the trick perfectly, leaving a perfect high gloss finish with zero micromarring. All in, the paint correction work took around 10 hours, which was much longer than expected, and we were glad we had allowed two days to complete the work.

Wing Before

s2000a.jpg

Wing After

s2000b.jpg

Rear Quarter Before

s2000c.jpg

Rear Quarter After

s2000d.jpg

Bootlid 50:50 Shot

s2000e.jpg

Day two was easier, but not without difficulties. The HD-Cleanse and Vintage went on and off easily enough, with massive care being taken to be gentle in order to avoid leaving any fresh marring, but the Vintage continued to expel oils for the rest of the day as it cured, with some fresh smearing continuing to surface even some six hours later as we finished off the detail. Judging how long full curing is going to take is obviously going to require the benefit of experience, but for now we warned the owner that any fresh smearing is part of the curing process and can either be quick detailed away with Field Glaze or left and washed off on the next wash day. If all of this sounds like the finish was compromised then I should point out that the final smearing we noticed was minor, and too slight to show in the photos presented below. Everything else went fairly smoothly, including restoration of the exhaust tips, cleaning of the hood and feeding of the leather interior.

Exhaust Tip Before

s2000f.jpg

Exhaust Tip After

s2000g.jpg

I mentioned at the outset that we prayed for good weather. Well, unfortunately it was hosing down with rain by the end of the day, so you’ll have to be content with these indoor snaps…

s2000h.jpg

s2000i.jpg

s2000j.jpg

Only joking!

In reality we were blessed with a perfect winter’s day, and here’s what the paint looked like after we rolled the car outside…

s2000k.jpg

s2000l.jpg

s2000m.jpg

s2000n.jpg

s2000o.jpg

s2000p.jpg

As has been mentioned on several recent threads, even good pictures don’t tend to do justice to high end finishes, and this is no exception; although the paint looks good, in the flesh it was simply stunning. I’ve been very happy with previous finishes we’ve achieved on solid black, but this is the first time paint has in my experience looked alive, with it shimmering away in the sunlight. To say that we are very happy with the Vintage is an understatement, and the owner was equally impressed with the finish (he is a member on here, and may or may not comment!). As a final thought, who would ever have imagined a full detail on a Honda would take two of us 19 hours in total to complete?! Just goes to show, you never stop learning...

:yes:

God damn thats the shineyest black car i have ever seen!

Good work my friend!

BTW how much do you charge to do a job like that! dont forget AS.net discount ;)

The finish is excellent dudes good work wish you guy were down in the london area i`d definetly give my car the treatment.

thats one stunning finish you have managed to get on that car guys, excellent work.

:salute:

****** fantastic !
Would that stuff work on an a solid black A4 Avant ?
Ive just bought a PC (never used it yet ) and Ive just bought some klearcote vanilla mouse and red mousse,but if I could get mine to look like the colour on the Honda I'd get some Zymol

Oh yes, it works well on all colours, even white (see other Vintage thread in this section). Out of everything else we've tried, this product really takes a finish to another level entirely. :yes:

that black looks stunning rich, it seems the honda paint comes out very well, how do you find the finish compared to the black ctr you did a while back with blackfire?

Did you find the paint marked at all once it had been polished when removing the polish? I find my flat black car very hard to work with

That's a good question about the Blackfire, because the pics don't look a lot different, but in the flesh it was night and day. The Vintage (and from what I've read this applied to other high-end waxes too) just doesn't show what it does on camera very well; in the flesh the paint was shimmering and actually looked like it was alive... might sound strange, but it's the best I can do! In the pictures though, it still looks flat, which is gutting! So, while you can get very good finishes with brands at the Blackfire level, what you get with the upper end of the wax scale is something entirely different... and better. :)

We did have kittens about inducing marring when taking off the HD Cleanse and Vintage (particularly given that it was on soft Honda paint), but with care and patience we managed it with very little marring at all. The worst bit is the continued rising of oils through the wax curing process; it makes it look like marring and smearing in the sun! However, once it's done a careful quick detail with Field Glaze removes this and leaves the finish spot on. :)

excellent job matey - i will be hopefully treating my A3 with the same attention to detail this weekend with a mixture of meguires and poorboys

any free advice??? ;)